In the mid and late 50’s, the Yankin College and the Htee Dan College served the First Year Intermediate classes.The Pure Science, Engineering and Medical students attended Yankin College.The Arts and Social Science students attended Htee Dan College.
BOC, Main and Leik Khone
After completing the I.Sc. classes, the engineering students attended BOC College for their main subjects and took some courses (e.g. Mathematics) at the Main Campus.
Later, the engineering students attended Leik Khone (Dome) and its extensions for their main subjects and spent some time (e.g. workshop) at BOC College.
Saya U Tin Htut (M60) and U Tin Htoon (A60) were from the last batch of engineering students to attend classes at Leik Khone (before the opening of Burma Institute of Technology at Gyogone Campus).
Leik Khone became an Intermediate College for the University of Rangoon. Those aspiring to become medical doctors take the “A: option. Those aspiring to become engineers and scientists take the “B” option.
We attended the last ever I.Sc.(A) classes at Leik Khone in 1963.
Our teachers for our I.Sc.(A) classes included
- Daw Tinsa Maw-Naing (English) — spouse of Bo Yan Naing
- Daw Khin Kyi Kyi (English)
- Daw Po (Burmese) — sayama at the 1965 Inlay Lu YeChun Camp, retired as Professor of Burmese
- U Khin Zaw (Mathematics) — later headed Maths Department at Worker’s College
- Mr. Chowdry (Mathematics)
- Daw Khin Ma Ma (Mathematics) — Sayama and her spouse U Soe Nyunt taught Mathematics at DSA
- U Min Than Thaung (Physics) — RUBC Gold, retired as Rector of Long Distance Learning
- Daw Khin Khin Su (Physics)
- Daw Khin Khin Aye (?) (Chemistry)
Some of my friends attended I.A. Intermediate of Arts) and I.Com (Intermediate of Commerce) classes at BOC College.
New Education System
Under the new Education System, the Faculty of Medicine became Institute of Medicine(s). The 1st MBBS Jr. and Sr. classes were held at Leik Khone. My spouse attended at Leik Khone.
Leik Khone also housed the offices of the Directorate of Higher Education (DHE). Saya U San Tha Aung and Saya Dr. Nyi Nyi were the early Director Generals for Higher Education.