During the Pre-War days, those who want to pursue a Medical Career
- had to study MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine & Surgery) overseas
(e.g. at Calcutta University)
- or get a license to practice medicine.
They are known as LMP (Licensed Medical Practitioner).
- According to U Ko Ko Aye (close friend of Saya Allen Htay and a member of the “La Phet Yay Waing”), the LMP school was located near the Bogyoke Market and was destroyed by bombing.
- LMPs were offered a condensed MBBS course.
Colonel Hla Han was an LMP turned MBBS.
- One prankster carried a briefcase with “LMP” on it. He was a Licensed Master Plumber.
[Per Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint] : Mr. Matthew Hunter (Principal of Rangoon College) selected two bright students Dr. Ba Than and U Kyaw Myint (TOKM’s father) to take the entrance examination to study Medicine at Calcutta University. U Kyaw Myint asked permission from the Principal to attend his mother’s funeral. The Principal insisted that U Kyaw Myint take the examination or he would be expelled.
Dr. Ba Than chose TOKM to be a saya at the Institute of Medicine. When TOKM appeared for the mandatory interview with the Public Service Commission (PSC), Dr. Ba Than told U Khin Maung Phyu that TOKM’s father is U Kyaw Myint. TOKM had the shortest interview : “How’s your father?”