Saya U Soe Paing e-mailed me the PDF files for selected pages from the University of Rangoon Convocation in 1958.
I used a software to convert the PDF files into JPG for posting on Facebook.
The top of the page displays the Logo (Peacock and the motto).
The convocation was held on December 2, 1958.
The brochure was printed by the Superintendent, Government Printing and Stationery, Union of Burma.
Pages 13 – 15
The top of Page 13 lists the “Order of Procedure” for
- conferring the degrees and diplomas
- awarding the prizes to the candidates
It lists the roles of the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor, Rector and Registrar.
Page 13 lists eight prizes. The medalists include
- Dr. Than Nyun (Economics)
He matriculated from SPHS.
He is Past Captain and Gold of RUBC.
He retired as Minister.
- U Aung Sein (Mathematics)
He retired as Associate Professor.
- Daw Yi Yi Myint (Commerce)
Sayama took courses at UCC before she left for studies in the US.
- Dr. Zin Aung (Physics)
He taught at Assumption University.
- C. Balachandran (a) B. C. Menon (Chemistry)
- Sao Hso Holm (Law Part (A))
He succeeded his father Arzani Sao San Htun as Mong Pawn Sawbwa.
He retired from UN.
- U San Aung (Law Part (B))
- Daw Khin Thein Shein (Education)
Page 14 lists twenty four prizes.
- Dr. Shwe Tin won three medals for Medicine.
- Saya U Htin Paw (Electrical Engineering) won two medals.
He studied his MS at the University of Michigan.
Upon his return, he worked for UBARI and then transferred to Electrical Inspectorate.
He moved to the US.
He served as President of TBSA and BEA.
- Saya Dr. San Hla Aung (Civil Engineering)
He studied his MS at MIT and did his doctorate at Tulane University.
He was President of RIT Rowing and RIT Swimming and Water Polo Associations.
He served as Line Judge at the RUBC Regattas.
- U Than Myint (Forestry)
- Daw Hla Kyi won two prizes for Arts
- U Sein Ngwe (Science)
- Daw Mya Than (highest marks for Burmese)
- Babul Lal Cheriwala (Commerce : General)
- U Than Win (Commerce : Accounting)
- U Zin Myint, Saya U Soe Paing (EE, UCC) and Saya Dr. Tin Win (M62) all scored highest in Mathematics for I.Sc.
- Daw Khin Than (Intermediate of Arts)
- Saya U Soe Paing (EE, CC, Intermediate of Science)
- Daw Mya Khin (highest in Burmese and Pali for BA)
Lists four more University prizes.
- U Win Shwe (highest Burmese in IA)
- Saya U Htin Paw (EE) won a second Gold medal.
- Dr. Tin Myo Than (2nd MBBS Sr.)
- Daw Myint Myint May (a) Pancy Than (Psychology)
Lists two prizes from Burma Corporation
- Dr. Maung Thein (Geology) – Gold
- U Kyaw Nyein (Geology) – Silver
Lists four book prizes from BOC
- Speech by Chancellor
- Dissolution of the Convocation
- Playing of the National Anthem
- Chancellor, Pro-Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor, Rector, and Fellows retire in procession, the Graduates standing
- In the early days, the Prime Minister of the Union of Burma served as the Chancellor.
- The prizes consist of Gold Medals, Silver Medals and Books.
- Per Saya U Htin Paw (EE58, GBNF), he received a letter from Registrar U Yu Khin asking if the family would pay K150 for each Gold medal (since the gold prices had gone up since the endowment).
- Saya U Soe Paing (EE, UCC) had to pay for his two Gold medals.