Seems like only yesterday when Computer Science, Technology and Applications were introduced to Burma/Myanmar.
Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe
Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe founded UCC (Universities Computer Center) with the help of Saya U Soe Paing, Saya U Myo Min and Saya U Ko Ko Lay (GBNF).
Saya Chit firmly believed in Technology Transfer, Leapfrogging Technology and the ability, passion and work ethics of fledgling Burmese/Myanmar professionals and students.
Saya Chit proposed that the UNDP/UNESCO Grant will have a component to invite outstanding Computer Scientists and educators to Burma. Professor Harry D. Huskey, computer pioneer and Past ACM President, convinced Professor Anthony Ralston (another Past ACM President), Professor Peter Wegner (expert in systems software, programming languages), Professor Michael Stonebraker (expert in data base systems, founder/implementer of Ingres, winner of ACM Turing Award a few years back) and other distinguished academics to share their knowledge and expertise in Burma.
Details of the early days of Computing in Burma has been documented in part by Saya U Soe Paing in “Computer ah sa; UCC ga” and other related articles.
Before ICST could be established, UCC conducted the Computer Science programs under the Department of Mathematics, Rangoon University (where Saya Chit was Professor and Head of the Department).
Saya Dr. Tin Maung
Saya Chit was succeeded by Saya Dr. Tin Maung (GBNF). During his tenure, DCS (Department of Computer Science) was founded under Rangoon University. ICST was then established with Saya DTM as Rector, and Saya U Ko Ko Lay as Professor and Head of Information Systems. U Tun Aung Gyi served as Associate Professor and Head of Hardware Technology. I served as Associate Professor and Head of Software Technology. Computational Mathematics was taught by sayas from UCC and Mathematics Department.
One female student — Mi Thinn Hnin Myaing — from the first batch of ICST is now a Commander (Lt. Colonel, Dental Surgeon) in the US Navy.
Saya U Soe Paing
- Saya taught at RIT EE before joining UCC.
- Saya managed the Systems Division (made up of Hardware engineers and technicians, Systems software programmers, Software librarian).
- Saya later also managed the Operations Division (when Saya U Ko Ko Lay transferred to head the Scientific and Technical Applications Division)
- Saya retired from the UN.
Saya U Myo Min
- Saya worked as Systems Analyst for IBM UK.
- Per request of his mother, he came back to Burma to help Saya Chit found UCC.
- Saya managed the Applications Division.
- Later when UCC reorganized to have Business Applications Division and Scientific and Technical Applications Division, Saya managed the Business Applications Division.
- Saya also taught computer courses at the Institute of Economics.
- Saya moved to California, USA. He retired after working for Seagate Technology and Connors.
Saya U Ko Ko Lay
Saya U Ko Ko Lay (GBNF) is the elder brother of U Than Htut (M67, RUBC Gold).
He was a classmate of Saya U Soe Paing at SPHS and at the Rangoon University before both were selected as State Scholars to study BS and MS at Stanford University in the USA.
Saya worked at PWD before transferring to UCC.
Saya served as
- Operations Manager
- Scientific Applications Manager
- Professor and Head at the Department of Computer Science (DCS)
- Professor and Head of Information Systems at the Institute of Computer Science and Technology (ICST).
Academic and training courses
- UCC conducted several courses : (a) some on its own, and (b) degree and post-graduate diploma courses under the aegis of the Department of Mathematics, RASU.
- Several distinguished Professors from US, UK and Europe lectured at UCC as part of the “UCC Project”.
Some activities at UCC
- UCC employees played soccer, volleyball and ping pong.
- UCC also celebrated Thingyan and Su Paung Donlaba.
Acariya Pu Zaw Pwe
I attended the 5th Acariya Pu Zaw Pwe of ICST and UCSY in January 2018.
The 6th Acariya Pu Zaw Pwe will take place in December, 2019.