There are many Myanmar Communities around the world.
OMC (One Myanmar Community) is based in Union City, Northern California.
Its main activity and fund raiser is the Annual Thingyan Festival held in May (for logistic reasons). A “Thet Kyee Pu Zaw Pwe” co-hosted by TDS (Theravada Dhamma Society) is an integral component of the Festival. There are sumptuous food and a plethora of entertainment by the young and the old, and from near and far (some from Myanmar).
OMC has helped the Myanmar Community in many ways. The following is a sample :
- Fund raising for “Flood Relief” Programs in Myanmar
- Co-hosting San Francisco Bay Area Literary Talks
- Language Classes (Myanmar, English Japanese, Korean)
- Dance Classes (e.g. by Thida Win (Moe Nat Thuzar))
- Musical Evenings (e.g. by Gita Hmu Tin Ko Ko)
- Fitness Program (e.g. Yoga)
- Preparation Classes (DMV license, Citizenship)
- Knowledge sharing (Medical insurance, Study grant)
- Meeting with Myanmar Ambassador and Consul General of Los Angeles
- Highlight Myanmar Culture in selected Bay Area Events (e.g. Asian Heritage)