Updated : August 27, 2019
The list is not exhaustive.
Need feedback for omissions and corrections.
- George Ba Thaung (Maung Maung Win)
- Saya George Chan (Maung Maung, ChE66)
- Saya George Chapman (SPHS)
- Uzin George Chan Min (RUBC, BADA, Dhammananda Vihara)
- George D. Smithers (George Htoon Pay, Aung Tun Oo, M71, Rowing, Swimming, Water Polo)
- George Khin Maung (Dr. Khin Maung U, SPHS63, First in Burma, DMR, FDA)
- George Nyunt (Dr. Than Nyunt, Past Captain and Gold of RUBC, Minister)
- George Peters (C73, Australia)
- George Stevens (SPHS)
- George Thein Maung (Dr. Tun Thein, Yachting)
- George Tint (Dr. Kyaw Tint, Physics, Electronics)
- George Tun (U Win Maung, Rowing, Swimming, Water Polo)
- Dr. Glen Ba Thein (Zaw Mon, MEHS63)
- Glen Tun Ngwe (Aung Ngwe Tun, UCC, Australia)
- Glory Maung (Khin Than Nu, EC70)
- U Gyi Thaung (GBNF) rowed for Ye Kyaung Lu Nge, RASU and RUBC.
- Gyi may mean “Big”, “Senior” or “Elder”.
Examples of salutation in Burmese families:
Thar Gyi, Thar Thar Gyi
Pe Gyi, Pe Pe Gyi
May Gyi, May May Gyi
Pho Pho Gyi
Phwa Phwa Gyi
Ko Gyi, Ko Ko Gyi
Ma Gyi, Ma Ma Gyi
Gyi (in middle or end of name)
- Sayagyi Dr. Aung Gyi was Rector of RIT. He later worked for UN and Canadian agencies.
- Bohmu Aung Gyi (Cyril) was a Navy Commander and a Patron of Defense Yachting. His son Htoo Aung Gyi represented Burma in Yachting.
- Bogyoke Aung Gyi was a member of Revolutionary Council.
- Saya U Aung Gyi (Mathematics, MASU) was a teacher staff at the Inlay Luyechun Camp in 1965.
- U Aung Gyi Shwe (EE69er) represented RIT in Athletics and Soccer. He is a Khamee Khamet of U Kyaw Myint (T72).
- “Khant Khant Gyi” is a photo studio.
- Daw Khin Khin Gyi was one of the early female photographers. She also wrote under the pen name “Padamya Khin”.
- Sayama Daw Khin Khin Gyi (History, mother of Dr. Khin Nyo Thet and Dr. Lyn Aung Thet)
- U Khin Pe Gyi was Manager/Publisher of Rangoon Gazette. He help with the RUBC Regatta Program.
- U Ko Gyi taught Mathematics at RIT. He is known for reciting the first 100 digits of PI, and for naming Daw Tin Tin Myint (Emma, ChE70) as “Rocket”.
- Dr. Ko Gyi (Ophthalmologist, Dean of students, Institute of Medicine 1) is the father of U Aung Khin (SPHS63, DSA, GBNF) and Dr. Thein Wai (SPHS63). He was Warden of Medical College Hostel. He was also the Medical Superintendent of the Eye ENT hospital (former Seventh Day Hospital in Signal Pagoda Road).
- Dr. Ko Ko Gyi (Professor of Chemistry)
- Dr. Ko Ko Gyi (Professor of Zoology)
- U Ko Ko Gyi played football for Tennessarim (Tanin thar yi) Division, Customs and Burma.
- Ledi Pandita U Maung Gyi is a scholar. He was a famous dhamma lecturer and assistant of Ledi Sayadaw before he left the order.
- Saya U Maung Maung Gyi (Professor of Burmese)
- Saya Dr. Maung Maung Gyi (Physics)
- U Maung Maung Gyi (Henry Than Htay, Thein Tan, SPHS64, UCC, GBNF)
- Phone Gyi is the nickname of U Tin Shein (M69, RIT Chinlon), U Tin Tun (M69, saya at Maritime University), and U Soe Myint (M72, Pro-Rector, ICST, GBNF).
- Po Par Gyi is an Academy Award winning actor. He supposedly wore glasses even though he had no problems with vision.