- Adeikhtan is translated as “Determination”.
- It is a commitment to do something as planned.
- It needs resolve.
- According to the Buddhist Chronicles, the Bodhisatta (Buddha to be) made an Adeikhtan to meditate until he became Enlightened.
- New Year Resolution is a form of Adeikhtan, but many do not seriously follow it.
- A time-bounded Adeikhtan is easier to fulfill. At some meditation retreats, one pledges to practice mindfulness for the period (e.g. one hour).
Examples illustrating Determination
- Try a new task every day for one year
- Learn a new language every year
- Master four languages in a year by living and studying with native speakers
- Write a daily post