Updated : August 10, 2019
The list is not exhaustive.
Need feedback for omissions and corrections.
- U San Aung (Sydney Tin) played the Bass Guitar and Drums with bands notably TAMPS (named for Tin Aung, Austin Xavier, Mra Tun, Pierpont Morgan and Sydney San Aung).
- U San Aung (Reginald Choung Po, Sonny, SPHS58, GBNF) was one of the youngest Senior Pilot at UBA/BAC. He was Boxing Champion for Pin Weight. He served as Treasurer of RUBC.
- Dr. San Hla Aung (C58) had to wait one year to enter the University of Rangoon because he was under age. He was top of his class. He studied at MIT and did research at Tulane University in the USA. He was coaxed to retire after 50+ years of teaching in Burma and the USA. Saya served as President of the RIT Rowing Association, and the RIT Swimming & Water Polo Club.
- Dr. San Lin (C61, EPC, UN, US)
- U San Lin (Robert Chan, EC73, UCC, Texas)
- U San Lin (M87, “Maung Lu Pay”, California)
- Dr. San Lwin (Ronald Lwin, GBNF)
- U San Lwin (Director)
- U San Lwin (Philosophy, Director, Monk)
- Daw San San Lwin (UCC)
- Daw San San Myint (UCC)
- Dr. San San Myint (California)
- Daw San San Nyunt (Sandra Wu, M77)
- Daw San San Swe (San San Nwe, EC74)
- U San Maung (Gerald Sein, RUBC Gold and Coach)
- “Bando” U San Maung (Stunt)
- U San Myint (Rector, Institute of Education)
- U San Myint (Mathematics)
- U San Myint Thane (Sammy Thane, EC79, UCC, USA)
- U San Nyo Aung (RIT)
- U San Nyunt (Road)
- U San Pe (Father of Dr. Pe Nyun and Dr. Pe Thein)
- U San Shwe (Father of Freddie)
- San Shwe Myint (Cartoon)
- U San Tha
- Saya U San Tha Aung (Physics, DHE, GBNF)
- Saya U San Thein (SPHS)
- Sandar (Sar Oo, Rosebelle Mya Maung, Actor)
- Sandar (Spouse of La Min (EP70))
- Daw Sandar Khin (Minister)
- Sandra Rahman
- Sandra Tint
- Sandra Wu
- Dat Pon Sann Aung (M73) is RUBC Gold. He also worked for the Mechanical Co-op. He founded USA (U Sann Aung) Photo Lab. He is the brother of Daw Than Than Yi (T71, GBNF).
- Dr. Sann Oo (EP67) served as Associate Editor of “Hlyat Sit Sar Saung” published by RIT Electrical Engineering Association.
San (in middle and end of names)
- U Aung San is from the RIT Class of 70. He played Goalkeeper on the second RIT Football team. U Kyaw Min Aung was a backup goalie.
- Bogyoke Aung San was born as Htain Lin. He changed his name to Aung San to rhyme with Aung Than (his elder brother).
- U Aung San Oo (SPHS59) studied at Imperial College in the UK and worked in the USA.
- Daw Aung San Suu Kyi attended MEHS before going abroad with her mother Daw Khin Kyi (Ambassador). There are many articles about her.
- Dr. Myo San (Freddie Ba San, 3rd in Burma in the Matriculation of 1963, GBNF)
Dr. Naing Tint San (Peter Ba San, Medical officer for Inlay Luyechun Camp)
Daw Polly Win (PollyBa San, Burma Selected in Swimming, spouse of U Naing Win (M70, GBNF)
- Sao is a prefix for members of the Shan nobility.
- Sao Aung Myint (John Khun Kyi, Irrigation)
- Sao Hso Holm (Sawbwalay, English First Class Honors, Law, Author)
- Saya Sao Kan Gyi (Tony, English, GBNF)
- Sao Khai Pha (Editor)
- Sao Khun Cho (Minister)
- Sao Khun Kyi (Father of John and Shirley)
- Daw Sao Mon Sint (Cindy, UCC)
- Sao San Htun (Arzani)
- Sao Shwe Thaik (President)
- Sao Yan Naing (RUBC)
- Sao Yan Paing
- Gerald Sao (Immanuel Four)
- Saw is a prefix for Karen (Kayin) names.
- Saw is a clan name for Chinese.
- U Saw Hlaing belongs to a family of “First in Burma” starting with his father U Hoke Sein (compiler of the Pali-English-Burmese Dictionary). He, his daughter Dr. Cherry Hlaing and his two grand children also stood first in Burma.
- Saya U Saw Hlaing (RIT Physics, GBNF) did his graduate studies in Japan. He served as Principal of Taunggyi College and as Director at the Ministry of Education. I first met him as an active member of the Kusalakari Association at Shwe Dagon Pagoda.
- Saya U Saw Lwin (DHE)
- U Saw Lwin (Father of Jimmy and George)
- Bogyoke Saw Maung
- U Saw Maung (Father of Allan and Alfred)
- U Saw Min (Father of Alice)
- Bohmugyi Saw Myint (RC member)
- U Saw Nyo (PBRS)
- U Saw Nyunt (Lu Nge Yay Ya)
- U Saw Oo (PBRS)
- U Saw Pe
- U Saw Shwe (PBRS)
- Saya Dr. Saw Tin (Mathematics, GBNF)
- Saya U Saw Tun (Burmese, RIT, NIU)
- U Saw Tun (Science Scholar)
- Daw Saw Yu Tint (Alice, T69)
Saw (in middle or end of name)
- Saw Edison (EP69) and Saw Orson (A7x) played Volleyball for RIT.
- Dr. Daisy Saw (ConBro co-founder, spouse of Derrick Wu (A61)
- Dr. Daisy Saw (UN, spouse of U Chit Po Po (M69))
- Edward Saw (Yu Ket, EC85, Treasurer of NorCal RITAA)
- Patrick Saw (RIT, New Zealand)
- Stanley Saw (Myo Lwin, M71, New Zealand)
- Allan Saw Maung (U Khin Maung Bo ( , SPHS63, EP69)
- Alfred Saw Maung (U Khin Maung Maung ( SPHS64, GBNF)
- Jimmy Saw Lwin (RUBC Gold)
- George Saw Lwin (Saya U Kyaw Lwin, RIT EE, Pianist, Rower, GBNF)
- Saya U Sein (SPHS, father of Dr. Soe Win (SPHS58, First in Burma))
- Bandoola U Sein (Entrepreneur)
- Maung Sein (Cartoonist)
- U Sein Aung
- Dr. Sein Aung Lynn (Lynn Dental)
- U Sein Aung Min
- U Sein Hla (MIT alumnus, Registrar of BIT, son of Justice U Bo Gyi)
- U Sein Hla (Writer, Father of Dr. Aung Zeya (YTU)
- Saya U Sein Hlaing matriculated in 1946. He joined the EE (Electrical Engineering) Department as Assistant Lecturer in 1952. He was sent to the USA on a States Scholarship to study at the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and won a Gold Medal. Upon his return to Burma, Saya was promoted to Lecturer. He was one of the three Professors (out of the eight Departments) when we joined 2nd BE RIT in 1964. Saya passed away a couple of years after retirement.
- U Sein Hlaing (Coach of the Burma Football team).
- U Sein Hlaing (Bago) is one of the organizers for San Francisco Bay Area Entertainment events.
- U Sein Htoon (M63, Past Captain and Gold of RUBC, Past President of Myanmar Rowing and Yachting Federation)
- U Sein Myint (EP69, Rowing, Swimming, Water Polo)
- U Sein Myint (EC76, UCC, UN)
- Dr. Sein Myint (RIT, MES)
- U Sein Myint Maung (UCC, Australia)
- U Sein Than (PBRS)
- U Sein Thaung (ChE)
- U Sein Thit
- U Sein Tin (M69, Pathein Omega)
- U Sein Tin (Kenneth Koe, Tennis coach)
- U Sein Tin (Johnny Ong, EC75, Australia)
- Dr. Sein Tun (Physics, SPHS58, GBNF)
- U Sein Tun (Lucas Lee, BASES, Los Angeles)
- U Sein Tun (BADA)
- Dr. Sein Win (Mathematics, Son of Arzani U Ba Win)
- U Sein Win (Guardian)
- Saya U Sein Win (Professor, EP Department)
- Saya U Sein Win (Mathematics, Astronomy)
- U Sein Win (Win Aung Kyaw, C69, GBNF)
- U Sein Win (Nar Yee, T69, GBNF)
- U Sein Win (M/Ag69)
- U Sein Win (C80, Sydney, Australia)
Sein (in middle and end of name)
- Saya U Aung Sein (Mathematics)
- Thakin Ba Sein (AFPFL)
- U Chan Sein (Father of Saya U Myo Lwin (Dawei))
- U Chin Sein (Shwe Nya Maung, Actor/Director)
- U Chit Sein
- Daw Chit Mya Sein (Daughter of U Chin Sein)
- U Han Sein (M72, Retired Dy Minister)
- U Han Sein (C75, “Tone Kyaw”)
- U Han Sein (Dawei)
- U Hoke Sein (Compiler of Pali-English-Burmese Dictionary)
- U Khin Sein (69er, Singapore)
- Bohmu Kyaw Sein (Byamar Gaung)
- Saya Dr. Kyaw Sein (M65)
- Saya U Kyaw Sein (M65, Singapore)
- U Kyaw Sein Hla (SPHS, PTC)
- Dr. Kyaw Sein Koe (Victor, MEHS61, GBNF)
- U Kyu Sein (UCC)
- U Mya Sein (Father of Saya Dr. Myo Khin)
- U Mya Sein (BARB,, GBNF)
- Daw Mya Sein (History)
- Daw Mya Sein (Marion Patail, History)
- U Myat Hla Sein (PBRS, RC2, son of U Chin Sein)
- Daw Myint Myint Sein (Diana, M70, Canada)
- U Myint Sein (Principal, BARB, IDEA, GBNF)
- U Myint Sein (M69, Badminton, 69er HCF)
- Saya U Myo Myint Sein (Raymond, A58, US)
- Daw Nilar Sein (Mandalay Gazette, Swimming)
- U Ohn Sein
- U Po Sein
- Dr. Nyo Nyo Sein
- U Than Sein (PBRS)
- U Thein Sein (Past President)
- Saya U Tin Htet Sein (Physics)
- Bohmu Tin Htoo Sein (Navy)
- U Kyaw Kyaw Shane
- U Kyi Shane (M83), dhamma volunteer
- U Shwe Shane (Railways, UN)
- Dr. Thinn Thinn Shane
- U Zaw Zaw Shane
- Kaya Bala U Shein was a Body Builder.
- U Shein worked at SLR (Surveyor Land Records). He attended DAC. He was active in Hiking and Mountaineering.
- I met Saya Dr. Maung Shein and several sayas and sayamas (Dr. Ronald Findlay, Saya Jimmy [Dr. Khin Maung Kywe) and Professor Dr. Sundurum) when my uncle Saya U Than Lwin took me Rangoon University to visit the Faculty of Social Science. My uncle taught Economics and also served as the librarian for Social Science Library. Daw Myint Myint Khin (Hazel) was an Assistant Librarian at SS Library. She later joined RIT as Librarian. Saya Dr. Maung Shein became Deputy Minister of Finance and National Planning.
- [Per Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint] Dr. Maung Shein PhD, joined the World Bank after working as Deputy Minister of Finance in Burma. U Maung Maung Hla (younger brother of Dr U Kyaw Maung surgeon) also joined World Bank.
- Maung Shein and Maung Sein are sons of U Kwi Si, a prominent Chinese Ah Yo Ku Saya who did not charge poor patients.
- U Shein Soe Myint (EC83, UCC) is the son of Saya U Hla Myint (former Head of Mathematics Department at the Institute of Economics. He passed away while doing further studies in Singapore.
Shein (in middle and end of name)
- Cartoon Aung Shein is known for Modern Cartoon. The RIT main gate is named after his cartoon character U Lu Paw.
- Saya Dr. Aung Shein (C72) studied at the University of Birmingham.
[Per U Wynn Htain Oo (M72), Dr. Aung Shein studied Secondary at Daw Khin Khin Aye school (PBRS).
- U Aung Shein (Elder brother of Sayadaw U Dhammapiya)
- U Han Shein (Hla Moe) rowed for the Faculty of Engineering. He perished at sea, when the schooner owned by his parents sank.
- Phyu Phyu Shein, Wah Wah Shein … (daughters of entrepreneur U Han Shein)
- Kenneth Shein played soccer for RU with Collegian Nay Win, U Tun Kyi and Dr. Tint Lwin, He joined Burma Railways and played for BR and Burma.
- Bogyi Kyaw Shein (SEAP, Pistol)
- Pale Shein (Pearl, UCC, daughter of Kenneth Shein) studied and taught at UCC. She co-organized UCC gatherings during my visits to Singapore.
- U Tin Shein (M69, Phone Gyi, Chinlon)
- Saya U Tun Shein (Mathematics, RIT)
- Saya U Aung Myint (Kyant Ba Hone, Pet69) is fondly called “Delta Tun Shein“.
- U Tun Shein (Willie Saing, RUBC Gold, SPHS54)
- Goldflake U Win Shein
- U Win Shein (EC84,New York)
- U Win Shein (EP70, California)
- U Shwe (EP69, 69er HCF)
- U Shwe Aung (Author)
- ICS U Shwe Mra (Chief Secretary of the Burmese Government)
- U Shwe Oo
- U Shwe Thein (SPHS, Dawei)
- Major Shwe Zan (Father of U Tun Zan)
- U Shwe Zan Aung (SPHS63, GBNF)
- Singh is used as a Middle name (and often abbreviated as S.) by Sikhs.
- Balwant Singh majored in Pali. He served as Commissioner of Pegu Division. He later joined UN. He is an RUBC Gold.
- Teja Singh is an entrepreneur. He is the father of D S Saluja.
- Dave Singh Saluja (aka D S Saluja) left RIT before graduation to Bangkok. He co-founded Rama Enterprise with his elder brother (an MIT alumni).
- Surinder Singh (EE69er) moved to Australia.
- Meenu Singh (ChE70) moved to the USA. He has a Ph.D. He became a Professor in CS or IT.
- Jagjit Singh (Jack Bopari, EC7x) moved to the USA. He worked at UIUC.
- Uttam Singh (Uttam S. Gill, M71) was a High School Luyechun from Myitkyina. He moved to the USA. He has a Ph.D. He worked for NASA.
- A S Soni is SPHS 63.
- U Soe Aung (M/Auto71) : Secretary of RIT Ah Nu Pyinnya Ah Thinn
- U Soe Aung (M72)
- U Soe Aung (M75)
- Saya U Soe Khaw (GBNF) served as Part-time Lecturer and Head of the Mining Department at BOC College. He worked on several UN assignments before relocating to the USA. He was a supporter for selected monasteries in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- U Soe Khine (M70) is an organizer for the Combined 1st BE Intake of 64 and 65.
- U Soe Lwin (EC66) is one of casualties from Burma Railways for 8-8-88 and related events. His interests include astrology and meditation.
- Saya U Soe Lwin (M) assisted Sayagyi U Ba Than and also taught Strength of Materials. He is the father in law of Dr. Lu Aye.
- U Soe Maung is the proud parent of scholar athletes (U Tin Soe, U Myint Soe, U Nyunt Soe, U Chit Soe, Sally Soe, Mary Soe …) .
- U Soe Maung (M66)
- Saya U Soe Min (Mathematics & Astronomy)
- Saya U Soe Min (EE, DCA, GBNF)
- U Soe Myint was manager of the University Printing Press.
- There are four U Soe Myint in the M72 Group. The one with the nicknames “Phone Gyi” and “Sunlun Kappiya” worked at UCC, DCS and ICST. He retired as Pro-Rector of Computer Tekkatho.
- Saya U Soe Myint (Min83) was Joint Secretary for SPZP-2012 and SPZP-2016. He was active in the RIT Buddhist Association — as Secretary and later as Patron. He helped organize the compilation and publication of Ovada (Exhortation) of the sayas and sayamas invited to SPZP-2012 and SPZP-2016.
- Saya Dr. Soe Myint Win (GBNF) has a doctorate in Electronics. He taught in the Physics Department. He was a supporter for selected monasteries in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Dr. Soe Naung is a medical doctor and a host of Sayadaws visiting Jamaica.
- Saya U Soe Paing (SPHS56) is a Paulian. He won a Collegiate Scholarship in the Matriculation examination of 1956. Saya studied BS and MS in EE (Electrical Engineering) at Stanford University in the USA. Upon his return, he joined the EE Department at RIT as Assistant Lecturer. He transferred to UCC as Systems Manager. Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe founded UCC with the help of Saya U Soe Paing, Saya U Myo Min and Saya U Ko Ko Lay (GBNF). Saya received an M.Sc. in Computer Science from the University of Southampton in the UK. Saya worked for UN projects in several countries. He wrote “Computer Ah Sa UCC Ga” and his experiences as a States Scholar and UN Advisor. After retirement, Saya spent time playing golf and practicing vipassana meditation. Saya suffered back pain and had a minor surgery in Singapore. Saya had to stop playing golf. During his UCC days, Saya served as a Golf Correspondent. I helped Saya type about the competition at RGC (Rangoon Golf Club) and BGC (Burma Golf Club) and submit to the English newspapers. Saya was my mentor at RIT and UCC. He has archived his writings in Scrib-D.
- U Soe Paing (Musician)
- Saya Dr. Soe Thein (C75) was an organizer for the SPZPs held in Singapore. He volunteered as a web master for the Singapore Alumni. His son volunteered as a photographer and/or videographer. He invited me as a Guest to the Civil Gathering held before SPZP-2007. He invited me to a C75 gathering held at M3 Food Center in Yangon.
- U Soe Thein (Student Leader, Ta Ka Tha). He was Registrar when RIT was opened under the New Education System. He was promoted to Director at the Department of Higher Education (DHE). U Hla succeeded him as Registrar.
- U Soe Thein (Peter Myint Maung, EE69) had a medical operation. He asks his daughter to drive him to the Monthly Breakfast Gatherings of the Class of 69.
- U Soe Wai (Navy) rowed on the first Defense Service team along with U Sein Kyaing, U Hla Khin, U Tin Soe and U San Myint (Cox).
- U Soe Win (EP69, GBNF) was Captain of RIT Basketball team.
- U Soe Win (TTC64, EC70) worked for UCC and PTC. After retirement, he helped run his spouse’s business in Moulmein.
- U Soe Win (M66) was close with Saya U Lin (M66) and U Soe Aung (M66) in their RIT days.
- Soe Pay (Movie director)
- Soe San (Recording studio and distributor)
- U Soe Tha (EC67) and U Tun Kyi (M67, GBNF) were RIT Champions for Doubles in Tennis. U Soe Tha is a retired Minister.
- Dr. Soe Than taught at UCC, DCS and ICST.
Soe (in middle and end of name)
- Saya Dr. Aung Soe (C61)
- Bagyee Aung Soe (Part-time saya at RIT Architecture Department)
- U Aung Soe (Lu Nge Ye Yar, GBNF)
- U Ba Soe (Kyobin Kauk)
- U Hla Soe (Kyobin kauk)
- U Chit Soe (Swimmer, Diplomat)
- Saya U Myint Soe (C68, GBNF)
- U Myint Soe (Willie Soe Maung, BDS, GBNF)
- U Myint Soe (M79, California)
- Dr. Myint Soe (Lawyer, Singapore, Burma Club)
- Dr. Myint Soe (Benjamin, SPHS63, Florida, USA)
- U Myint Soe and U Nyi Nyi (Musicians, BBS)
- U Nyunt Soe (Swimming Coach)
- U Tin Soe (Johnny Soe Maung, Diplomat)
- Sally Soe (Swimming)
- Mary Soe (Swimming)
- Muya Soe (Swimming)
- Dr. Oke Soe Kha (Alvin, Luyechun 64, MEHS), son of Saya Kha, is an Honorary Paulian.
- U Than Soe (M63) is RUBC Gold. His younger brother is Dr. Koung Nyunt (A67, GBNF).
- Su Phaya Latt was a Queen
- Daw Su Su Lwin (UCC)
- Daw Su Su Lwin (spouse of U Htin Kyaw, former President)
- Dr. Swe Aye (MEHS63, IM2) is a medical doctor and poet. He co-founded the Aye-Thet Scholarship program at TBSA with Dr. Khin Nyo Thet (MEHS63, IM2).
- Bohmu Swe Than
- Daw Swe Swe Than (UCC, US)
- U Swe Tin (EE77), son of Academy U Kyauk Lone, is called “Kyauk Pya”.
- U Myint Swe (69er)
- U Myint Swe (EP74, Vice President of NorCal RITAA)
- [Per U Khin Maung Zaw] : U Myint Swe, husband of late Nge Ma Ma Than, both ex-UCC, is one of the pioneers/leading figures in E-Government projects for States and Divisions of Myanmar.
- Bogyoke Myint Swe
- Dr. Myint Swe (Medical doctor and author, father of Gilbert)
- Saya U Tin Swe (EE53) studied at the University of Michigan. He represented Prome Hall and the Faculty of Engineering in football (soccer). He played Tennis. He was an early adopter and power user at UCC.
- Kyargyi Ba Swe (also known as Dawei Ba Swe) served as Interim Prime Minister (when U Nu took sabbatical) of the Union of Burma. He led the Swe-Nyein faction of AFPFL with U Kyaw Nyein.
- Yangon Ba Swe is credited to take aim at Galon U Saw.
- U Kyaw Swe is an Academy award winning actor and director. He was married to a Yale alumni and Khin Yu May (actress, vocalist).
- Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe is my mentor. See my other posts for details.
- [Per Sandaya Sein Thaung] : Gita Lu Lin Maung Ko Ko, Sandaya Hla Htut and Saya Chit Swe were the Top Three composer/pianists.
- U Chit Swe won the Senior Novices along with U Than Soe, U Yin Maung and U Hla Moe (Cox). They later represented the Faculty of Engineering at the subsequent regattas. The non-engineering crew member is Dr. Byron Law Yone.
- Dr. Khin Swe Myint is Professor of Physics at Mandalay University. She is the sister of U Ohn Khine (M70). She briefly attended UCC before moving back to MASU.
- Daw Khin Swe Oo (Author)
- Sayama Daw Khin Swe Oo (EC74, UCC, RIT)
- Daw Khin Swe Oo (Physics, spouse of Wynn Myint Aung (EC76))
- Dr. Kyu Kyu Swe (Professor at Mandalay Institute of Medicine)
- U Sway Tin is an early devotee of Mogok Sayadaw U Vimala. He recorded Sayadaw’s dhamma tape and translated some talks e.g. “Die with a smile”. He is the son-in-law of U Than Daing and the father of Min Sway Tin (Physics/Electronics).