Updated : August 6, 2019
- Las Vegas in Nevada is known world wide for its casinos and shows.
- In the early days, the US did not allow gambling in most states. Nevada was an exception.
- “Las Vegas” had nicknames including “Sin City”.
Las Vegas Monastery
- Some may not know that Las Vegas also have some monasteries including Thai monasteries supported by members of the Royal Family.
- Saya U Zeya resided at a Thai monastery and rose up in the ranks. He could give dhamma talks in Thai, English, and Burmese. Several devotees offered him a monastery.
- Many year ago U Tin Htoon (A60) gave me a ride from Los Angeles (where I was working on an assignment) to Las Vegas.
We visited U Kyaw Nyein (C, formerly in charge of PWD in the Ngapali area) and then headed to the “Ground Breaking Ceremony” for U Zeya’s monastery.
- In May 2013, several dhamma friends in the Bay Area rented a van to attend “Htee Tin Pwe” of the pagoda inside U Zeya’s monastery compound.
- I met Ko Sann Tun Ni, who has a flourishing Sushi business in Las Vegas. He attended CPC course at UCC as an employee of HIC. He is one of the Phaya Lugyis.
- I donated for two Nagas at the Las Vegas Monastery in memory of our parents and in-laws.
Ah Hmya, Ah Hmya, Ah Hmya