Updated : August 5, 2019
Included information about Dr. Ko Gyi provided by Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint (SPHS60)
Names beginning with G
- George Ba Thaung (Maung Maung Win)
- George Chan (Maung Maung, ChE66)
- George Chan Min (Uzin)
- Dr. George Khin Maung (Khin Maung U, SPHS63)
- Dr. Glen Ba Thein
- Glory Maung (Khin Than Nu, EC70)
- U Gyi Thaung (GBNF) rowed for Ye Kyaung Lu Nge, RASU and RUBC.
Beginning with H
Middle or End with G
- Dr. Aung Gyi was Rector of RIT. He later worked for UN and a Canadian Agency before retirement. He gave a Key Note speech at SPZP-2000.
- Bohmu Aung Gyi (Cyril) was a Navy Commander and a Patron of Defense Yachting. His son Htoo Aung Gyi represented Burma in Yachting.
- U Aung Gyi (MASU Maths) was a saya at the Inlay Luyechun Camp in 1965.
- U Aung Gyi (Simon, ChE62) is the spouse of Daw Yin Kyi (T61). He is a cousin of U Than Se (Richard, ChE62). I met him in Sydney, Australia and also in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- U Aung Gyi Shwe (EE69er) represented RIT in Athletics and Soccer. He is a Khamee Khamet of U Kyaw Myint (T72).
- U Aunt Gyi is a famous vocalist. He plays the accordion, piano and guitar.
- Hmone Gyi is an assassin of Arzanis.
- John Thet Gyi, father of Frederick (M69), worked for WCC (World Council of Churches).
- “Khant Khant Gyi” is a photo studio.
- Daw Khin Khin Gyi was one of the early female photographers. She also wrote under the pen name “Padamya Khin”.
- Daw Khin Khin Gyi is a Lecturer in History.
- U Khin Pe Gyi was Manager/Publisher of Rangoon Gazette and some souvenir programs for RUBC Regattas.
- U Ko Gyi taught Mathematics at RIT. He is known for reciting the first 100 digits of PI, and for naming Daw Tin Tin Myint (Emma, ChE70) as “Rocket”.
- Dr. Ko Gyi (Ophthalmologist, Dean of students, Institute of Medicine 1) is the father of U Aung Khin (SPHS63, DSA, GBNF) and Dr. Thein Wai (SPHS63). He was Warden of Medical College Hostel. He was also the Medical Superintendent of the Eye ENT hospital (former Seventh Day Hospital in Signal Pagoda Road).
- Dr. Ko Ko Gyi was a Professor of Chemistry.
- Dr. Ko Ko Gyi was a Professor of Zoology.
- U Ko Ko Gyi played football for Tennessarim (Tanin thar yi) Division, Customs and Burma.
- Ledi Pandita U Maung Gyi is a scholar. He was a famous Dhamma lecturer and assistant of Ledi Sayadaw before he left the order. Pandita (Sage) was the name when he was a monk. Ledi is the lineage.
- U Maung Gyi was a Customs Appraiser. He had a Public Library with books on Palmistry, and ESP. He is the father of Daw Hla Hla Win (UCC, GBNF).
- U Maung Maung Gyi was Professor of Burmese.
- Dr. Maung Maung Gyi taught Physics. He moved to Singapore and Canada. He visited his son and grand children in the USA.
- U Maung Maung Gyi (SPHS64) worked at UCC.
- “Phone Gyi” is the nickname of U Tin Shein (M69, RIT Chinlon), U Tin Tun (M69, saya at Maritime University), and U Soe Myint (M72, Pro-Rector, ICST, GBNF).
- Po Par Gyi is an Academy Award winning actor. He supposedly wore glasses even though he had perfect vision.
- U Sein Gyi is a cartoonist.
Gyi may mean “Big”, “Senior” or “Elder”.
Examples of salutation in Burmese families:
- Thar Gyi, Thar Thar Gyi
- Pe Gyi, Pe Pe Gyi,
- May Gyi, May May Gyi,
- Pho Pho Gyi, Phwa Phwa Gyi,
- Ko Gyi, Ko Ko Gyi