Post : July 23, 2019
Updated : August 5, 2019
In July 2015, we had an enjoyable trip to the East Coast of US and parts of Canada.
- We took the United Airlines from San Francisco International airport.
- The flight was delayed for more than two hours because the computer system was down.
- Our plane was diverted to Syracuse airport in New York to refuel and to wait there until Newark (New Jersey) airport — which had experienced traffic congestion — could handle the incoming flights.
- Ivan Lee (Khin Maung Oo, M69) was aware of the flight delays. He picked us up at the airport.
- He would be our host and trip coordinator.
- Selected events from the trip are described below.
July 10, 2015 (New York)
On July 10, 2015, Ivan took Sayagyi Dr. Aung Gyi, Daw Emma, my spouse and I on a New York tour. We felt like “honored guests” because New York City was lined up with fans — young and old — of the US women’s soccer team which recently won the World Championship for the third time.
July 11, 2015 (New Jersey)
On July 11, 2015, Ivan hosted a mini-gathering in honor of Sayagyi Dr. Aung Gyi and Saya U Soe Paing (EE, UCC).
Ivan had hosted the RIT-UCC gathering for several years.
The attendees include U Richard Than Se (ChE62, classmate of U Soe Paing), Fred Thegyi (M69), U Tun Aung Gyaw (EC69), Daw Saw Yu Tint (Alice, T69), U Toung (Tom, EC69), U Sein Myint (EC76, UCC), Daw Sao Mon Sint (Cindy, UCC), U Mya Aung (UCC), U Soe Myint (UCC) and Ivan’s relatives (who displayed their culinary skills).
There were six 69ers at the gathering.
July 13, 2015 (Windsor, Canada)
On July 13, 2015, Sayagyi U Aung Khin was delighted to see his former students — Ivan lee and Fred Thegyi — drive a long way to pay respect to him.
Ivan provided his Mercedes and gas for the trip.
Fred drove most of the way to let Ivan have a light load. Fred also took photos of the trip.
Sayagyi allowed my spouse and I to spend the night at his guest room.
Sayagyi not only prepared “pe kyaw” and “mohinga” for breakfast the next morning for the four of us.
He also gave mementos.
July 14, 2015
Dr. Aung Gyi not only hosted his former students for two days.
He took us to see the Thousand Islands.
July 16, 2018
Despite being busy working on two projects, U Tun Aung Gyaw took two days off to host his former classmates.
He took us to MIT and Harvard.
It has become a tradition to touch the “shining” shoe of Harvard’s statue (and make a wish).
Fred touched with one hand (and make a wish on behalf of his grand kid).
Ivan touched with both hands (saying he need to make a wish on behalf of his six grand children).
July 18, 2019
U Toung (Tom) and Daw Khin Myint (Kim) were our hosts for the Connecticut leg of our trip.
One photo was taken (by Fred Thetgyi) in front of one of the 30+ libraries at Yale University.
Another photo was taken (by a waitress who has a “FRED” tattoo on her arm in honor of her father) at Table (10) of Frank Pepe’s pizza. Photos of the then young Bill Clinton, who frequented the pizza place, can be seen on the wall. She then checked Ko Fred Thetgyi’s ID and agreed to have a picture together.
- On the way to Windsor, Canada we stopped to see Niagara Falls from the Canadian side. On a previous trip, I had seen Niagara Falls from the US side. Many say that the view from the Canadian side is better.
- The speed limit in Canada was lower than that of US. The GPS had some hiccup inside Canada. We ended up late arriving at Sayagyi’s U Aung Khin house.
- We just drove around Toronto on our way to Sayagyi Dr. Aung Gyi’s house. We prefer to be early than late.
- U Tun Aung Gyi lives in Shrewbury (about 50 miles from Boston). He is still working (often on multiple projects).
- Tom lives in Trumbull, Connecticut. He is now retired and spends some time in Hong Kong with his son and grand child.
- As a side trip, Fred took us to Pennsylvania and Maryland.
Fred lives in Philadelphia. We visited Liberty Bell and selected places.
U Thein Han is the sole remaining uncle and lives in Maryland.
- Ivan had two PEs (from New Jersey and New York). He owns some real estate. He loves to cook. He plays accordion and harmonica. He is a Life time Gold member of US Bridge Association. He is a Golden Sponsor of SPZP-2000 and SPZP-2007. He is a major donor to the 69er Health Care Fund.