Update : October 20, 2021
- Saya U Aung Khin’s visits to the Bay Area had tremendous impact.
- One visit resulted in the formation of BAPS (Burmese American Professional Society) — a merger of BEA (Burmese Engineers Association) and BASTS (Burmese American Science and Technology Society).
- Another visit resulted in a dinner meeting where the Bay Area Alumni Group led by Saya Allen Htay decided unanimously to hold the First Ever Grand Reunion and Saya Pu Zaw Pwe on October 28-29 week end in 2000.
- Saya enrolled in the Faculty of Engineering, University of Rangoon in 1950.
(At that time, one must pass the I.Sc. (Intermediate of Science) with good grades to pursue engineering courses.)
- Left the Third Year B.Sc.(Engg) class in 1952 upon being selected as a State’s Scholar to continue the undergraduate studies at Lehigh University.
- Received the B.S.M.E. and M.S.M.E. degrees and returned in 1956 to join the staff at the Faculty of Engineering as an Assistant Lecturer.
- Promoted to Lecturer and Head of Department
- Awarded the Colombo Scholarship in 1962 to pursue post-graduate studies at Toronto University.
Received the M.A.Sc. degree and returned in 1967 to continue teaching at RIT.
- Served as Professor and Head of Mechanical Engineering.
- In 1976, Saya resigned from the Institute in 1976 and emigrated to Canada.
- Saya retired in 1998 after working for twenty one years in Canada.
Saya wrote several articles for RIT Alumni International Newsletter.
- Student days at Rangoon University
- Brief History of RIT Mechanical Engineering Department
- Introduction to the article on Sayagyi U Ba Hli (first native Dean)
- Tribute to Saya U Tin Hlaing (M59, GBNF)
- Post-retirement sojourns
Health and Travel
- Regularly plays golf and tennis.
- Attended several SPZPs, but now prefers not to travel far except for occasional family gatherings (in Florida and Mexico).
Mini-gathering in 2015
- In 2015, Ivan Lee (M69) provided his Mercedes for a whirl wind trip to Canada and the East Coast.
- Ko Frederick Thet Gyi (M69) manned the wheels for the major part of the trip.
- Saya hosted me and my spouse for a night’s stay at his house.
- Ivan and Fred stayed at a nearby hotel, but spent time chatting with Saya.
- We enjoyed the Mohinga and Ah Kyaw prepared by Saya.
- Saya asked each of us to pick a souvenir from Windsor, Canada.
- Saya U Aung Khin and Saya U San Tun visited China where Saya U Kyaw Myint was working on UN projects.
- Upon their return, the SF Bay Area Group hosted a gathering.