Updated : July 15, 2019
The names are the same in Burmese.
- U Tin Htoon (A60) is the brother of Saya U Tin U, Saya U Ba Than, Dr. Myo Tint, Saya U Myo Min (UCC) and U Thaung Lwin (EC60).
- His elder brothers U Tin U and Dr. Myo Tint, his younger brother U Thaung Lwin and U Tin Htoon are all Past Captain and RUBC Gold.
- He won the Venables Bowl for Coxless Pairs with Dr. Harry Saing (GBNF) at the ARAE Regatta in Calcutta in 1958. Dr. Harry Saing is Past Captain and RUBC Gold.
- He won the Willingdon Trophy for Coxed Fours with Dr. Harry Saing (GBNF), Victor Htun Shein (GBNF), Sunny Teng and U Sein Htoon (M63) at the ARAE Regatta in Colombo in 1960. U Sein Htoon is Past Captain and RUBC Gold.
- He compiled the 40th Anniversary Issue for RUBC in 1963 along with Sithu U Tin and U Po Zon.
- He won the Silver Medal in Yachting at a SEAP Games with U Hla Khin (Navy).
- He compiled the 90th Anniversary Issue for RUBC in 2013 with U Myo Myint, U Htaik San (Henry), U Hla Min, Daw Joe Phyu and volunteers. I wrote three articles and all Preludes in the Magazine.
- He and selected Old Crocs (including Saya U Tin Htut, Dr. Thein Htut, Dr. Tin Wa, U Myo Myint, U Hla Min, U Thura Thant Zin and Daw Joe Phyu) re-published the Autobiography of Sir Arthur Eggar (Founder and Life President of RUBC).
- He is a co-founder of Triple Gem Publications with Dr. Maung Maung Lwin (UK), Harry Than Htut (Canada), Emma Tin Tin Myint (Singapore) and Victor Htay Aung (Australia).
- He is also a supporter and advisor of selected monasteries and meditation groups.
U Tin Tun (SPHS63, M69) is my classmate from Standard IV(D) to Matriculation, I.Sc.(A) at Leik Khone and 2nd BE to graduation at RIT. He stood first in IV(D). I was second. His parents love their only child, and the mother would come to provide lunch for him. Such a lucky guy. He later studied Naval Architecture and taught at Simalaik.
U Tin Tun (M71) is an accomplished pianist. He and his spouse Daw Mar Mar Yee (M75) are core members of the “Pon Chan Chan” Group for entertainment at RIT events in general and SPZPs in particular.
Editor’s Note :
Several other Tin Tun (e.g. Dr. Tin Tun) are covered in a later post on “Names : Tin”.
Dr. Richard Yu Khin wrote :
Background information on Ko Tin Htoon. His elder sister Ruby was a close friend of my aunt. My mother was personal physician to his mother. Their family mansion was located on 17 acres in prestigious Windermere Road. Former RUBC Captains Ko Tin Htoon, Ko Tin Htut and Ko Tin Wa later joined Rangoon Sailing Club. All three of them presently reside in California.