Updated : June 16, 2019
- In our youth, it was fashionable in the movies and outside to smoke cigars, cheroots and cigarettes.
- There was no warning that “Smoking could be hazardous to your health”.
- Some did not smoke, but tried to buy used cigarette packs with brands such as Gold Flake and Ludu. Why?
- There was a campaign from Gold Flake and Ludu that they will give a lottery ticket for the specified number of packs purchased (e.g. 20). The top prize for “Aung Bar Lay Hti” at that time was one Lakh Kyats. If the top winning ticket was “bought” from Gold Flake and Ludu, the winner will receive an additional one Lakh Kyats. That was a sizeable amount of mone
- There was another use of cigarette pack covers. There was a game where players take turns to put up one cover. If the top-most cover matches the cover immediately underneath, the player “wins” the pile of covers. Those who ran out of covers might decide to buy back some covers at a price.
- U Win Thein (M67, GBNF) — the indefatigable organizer — was from the Gold Flake Family.
- Saya U Hla Myint (Charlie, M65), Ko Michael Lim (C74), Ma Kyu Kyu Lin (“Bawlone”, T75), and Ko San Lwin (EC77) belong to the Ludu Family. Ludu had a family band of musicians and vocalists that make public performances at some festivals.