Uncategorized

Archive [36] : Newsletter (May 1999)

RIT Alumni International Newsletter (May 1999)

Original posting : 1999

Updated on June 14, 2019

In the beginning, there was no RIT and of course no BEs. There was only the BOC College [of Engineering], Rangoon University. Saya Ba Hli was the Dean of Engineering. The degree conferred was B.Sc. (Engg).

Saya Allen Htay remembers that the Dean wanted every engineering student to attend at least one common course with his/her senior batch. Thus, by the time one graduates, everyone will be familiar with three batches: one’s own, one senior, and one junior.

Then, for a brief period, there was BIT (B for Burma). In anticipation for the opening of more engineering institutes the name was changed to RIT R for Rangoon).

Feedback (by Saya Dr. Aung Soe): In the summer of 1961 BIT/RIT was born. It was also the time that I started my teaching career.

Several years back, RIT became YIT (Y for Yangon). Now, there’s an MIT (M for Mandalay) and an engineering branch of DSA. The latest name for RIT is YTU (Yangon Technological University).

It’s been a looong time since I had to sit at the last row [according to the seating plan — you cannot take the exams unless you have 75% attendance] of the “Surveying” course taught by Saya U Min Wun; the field work was supervised by Saya U Aung Soe. I noticed that I could no longer read the blackboard and became “four eyes”.

I started compiling a list of RIT alumni and ex-faculty after I received emails from Saya U Soe Paing (from UK, after his four month visit to Burma). See “Saya’s corner”.

I received encouraging words. Better still, a lot of people including Saya K C Chiu (ChE63), Saya U Myat Htoo (C68), Ko Aung Khin (EP68), Ko Tint Lwin (Danny, M69), Saw Yu Tint (Alice, T69), Lei Lei Myaing (Amy, T70), Than Than Yi (T71). Saya Ko Thein Aung (James, Met 72), Ko San Lin (Robert, (EC 73), Ko Maurice Chee (M75), Ko Khin Maung Zaw (EC76), Ko Hla Kyi (EC77), Ko San Myint Thane (Sammy, EC79), Ko Aung Win Myint (Kevin, EC80), Ko Aung Myint Oo (EC84), Ko Yu Ket (Edward, EC85), Ko Nyunt Than (M86) contributed to the list. They have also become the de facto class reps.

On most Internet newsgroups, there are 20 – 100 readers for every writer. In our case, we have more contributors and active readers who provide useful feedback. The list has grown to 250+, and still growing.

I gained (or re-gained) contact with my Sayas (including Sayagyi U Min Wun and Saya Dr. Aung Soe), classmates, and schoolmates. Also, I learned that there have been semi-reunions and reunions in California, Singapore, Sydney, and Yangon.

I hope this newsletter will serve as a starting point for a “Virtual (world-wide) reunion” and also bring back fond memories. Saya U Soe Paing, Saya U Myat Htoo and Ko Tint Lwin (Danny) have promised to write in the forthcoming newsletters.

Feedback: The list has grown, within a day, to 280+.

SAYA’S CORNER

From UK, Saya U Soe Paing (EC) writes:
During our recent visit to Burma, I saw Ko Tin Htut in Rangoon. He told us that Dr Aung Gyi would be visiting Burma. We managed to contact Dr Aung Gyi and we had a small get together at our house. The following came. Dr Aung Gyi and Ma Emma, Dr Khin Maung Win (Metallurgy) and Margaret, Ko Kyin Soe & Chit Chit, Ko Sein Win (Electrical Power), Soe Min (my classmate and ex Instructor in RIT) and Dr. Than Htaike (Chemical Engineering). Han Tin (Rector of the Institute of Education) was also there.

Played golf with Ko Maung Maung Than. He is now the advisor at the DSA Engineering college in Maymyo. They have appointed retired RIT sayas. S. Arya is one of them and I met him in town.
Also saw Ko Thein Lwin in Rangoon and Ko Tu Myint & Myitzu in Singapore.

From Singapore, Saya U Tu Myint (Mech) writes:
Thanks for the info. Nice to talk about the good old days. I think it’s a good idea to keep Old RIT Colleagues informed, especially when we are getting old.
Awaiting for more news. Perhaps scan in some photos.

From Los Angeles (California), Sayagyi U Min Wun (Civil) writes:
Ko Hla Min, what a surprise to get in touch with you again after such a long time. Sorry for this late response. My pc was disconnected from the Network after Y2K Remediation. Anyhow, my name has already been included in the Ex-RIT listing.
Thanks for the long list. Please keep in touch.

From Chicago (Illinois), Saya Dr. Aung Soe (Civil) writes:
Ko Hla Min: Thanks for the list. U Chin Way from LA passed away a few years ago. Aung Myint Thwin, one of my students, is in Singapore. I was told Aye Win Kyaw, ex civil staff, is also in Singapore.

Thanks for the photo [of the RIT Sayas; photo credit: Saw Yu Tint (Alice)].
With certainty I can name the followings:
U Ba Than, U Sein Win, U San Tint, U Tin Maung

Saya U Soe Paing (EC) adds:
Here are the names of the RIT Sayas in the picture:

Front row L to R: Ko Kyaw Thein(C) {picture not really clear}, Ko Shwe Yi (Tex), Ko Myo Kyi (E), Ko Sann Tint (E), Ko Sein Win (E), U Ba Than (M), U Sein Shan (Math), Ko Khin Maung (M), Ko Kyin Soe (Auto/Mech), Ko Ba Myint (E).

Back row L to R:
Christopher Maung (C), S. Arya (M), U Kyaw (A), Ko Phone Myint (Workshop), Ko Soe Minn (E), Ko Tin Maung (C), Ko S. Kyaw Aye (M), Ko Han Tun (M), Ko Kyaw Sein I (M), Ko Kyi (M), Ko Soe Lwin (M), Ko Tin Win(C), Ko Kyaw Win (Mining or Petroleum).

ALUMNI NOTES

From Danville (California), Saya U Myat Htoo (C68) writes:
I would like to make a proposition that I hope you will agree. Why don’t we organize an “Old RIT Colleagues/Graduates” get-together sometime in this Summer? Saya Allen Htay and myself were talking about it a couple of weeks ago. Actually, we have done a similar gathering of Civil Engineers in San Francisco about twelve years ago while Dr. Aung Gyi and Mama Emma were visiting us.
I think it’s about time to have a gathering for RIT graduates of all principles. My suggestion is to do it in San Francisco since I think it has a biggest concentration of RIT graduates. We could ask U Nyo Win and Maurice Chee for their help. This is just my thought.

From Japan, Saya Dr. Myo Khin (Ci70) writes:
You have done a great job for the RIT old boys and teachers. I’ve been in Japan for ten years already and doing the same job as teaching at the University.
This coming October 1999, I will be attending the ACI fall convention in Baltimore, Maryland.
Please say hello to all our friends and Sayas in the states.

From Singapore, Ko Tint Lwin (Danny) (M69) writes:
We had a great 30th re-union of our 1969 RIT Graduates in Rangoon, Burma on Feb. 20, 1999. About 120 of the graduates and about 30 lecturers attended. We really had a great time. The organizers told us that starting from year 2000, our 1969 graduates would have a re-union dinner every last Saturday in December every year. That’s a good idea and we can pass the word around and we could try to plan our holidays accordingly.

From UK, Saw Yu Tint (Alice, T69) adds:
There was a saya ga daw pwe (paying respects to the teachers) by the 1969 RIT graduates. We have pictures of the sayas and of course the RIT graduates.

From Benicia (California), Saya Ko Thein Aung (Met72) writes:
I am so glad to read the message about our old teachers get together party in Burma. KC Chiu (ex-faculty, Chem), brother of Dr Aung Soe (C), had actively organized Dr Aung Gyi’s welcome party back in 1986 in Bay area and Saya U Aung Khin party last year. He is a founding member of BEA (Burmese Engineers Association) and also a Past President. He is preparing a list to send it to you.

From Vallejo (California), Saya Dr. KC Chiu (ChE63) writes:
Ko Hla Min: I am impressed by the list you have assembled.
I would like to suggest the followings:
– delete the name of the deceased alumni
– delete the Type column and use an * to identify ex-faculty
– list the official name and put the name used in RIT as alias
– except for some sayas, confirm the year of graduation from RIT (include BOC college, BIT, etc.)
Attached is a list of RIT alumni in the US that come to my mind. Naturally, it will have some repeat in your list.
We used to have an old list of RIT alumni in the bay area, I will try to find it. Thanks.

From UK, Ko Nyunt Aung (C73) writes:
Dear U Hla Min,
Thank you for sending me the list. It will be more helpful if you can provide us with more detail (i.e. full address, telephone nos & email address) so we can contact to those we knew. I do not know about the rest, but I am willing to include me details.

From Daly City (California), Gordon Kaung (M83) writes:
I heard that you are compiling the e-mail info. of former RIT colleagues. It is very good idea and a clever way to keep in-touch one another. We can also discuss via e-mail to do good for our former school RIT including donating technical books and so on.

From Potomac (Maryland), Lei Lei Myaing (T70) writes:
Special thanks to Ko Johnny for the compiling all information. I had the opportunity to take Sayas U Khin Maung Win and U Maung Maung Than sightseeing in Washington, D.C. when they visited the U.S. a few years ago.
I also met Saya U Min Wun at a friend’s place in Virginia. Saya looked the same as before! I enjoyed seeing the former RIT list growing and getting to see the Sayas’ picture that Alice and Saya U Soe Paing sent. I am fortunate to see my former Textile and Chemical engineer friends whenever I visit Rangoon; the last gathering was at the Bon-Kyaung restaurant in Kokine. I also happened to bump into Alice at the Mingaladon airport!

Gone but not forgotten (GBNF)

Faculty
U Sein Hlaing (Professor, Electrical)
U Chin Way (Electrical)
Alumni
Ko Kyaw Oo (Mech 67)
Duga Raj (Civil 68)

With metta,
Hla Min

Editor’s Note:

I have completed 20 years as a volunteer editor of “RIT Alumni International Newsletter & Updates”.
While I still have a reasonably good memory and good health, I am sharing my experience, knowledge and memories (especially of the Good Old Days).
My postings can be found in
(a) e-mails (b) Lifelonglearning140.wordpress.com (web site) (c) hlamin.com (web site) (d) RIT-update@Googlegroups (d) FB pages for (i) RIT Updates (ii) Swel Daw Yeik Foundation (iii) NorCal RITAA (iv) RIT69ers (v) Team Old School IT (vi) PBRS Group
Special thanks to my family members who wholehearted support “Paying Back to my Alma Mater”.