Updated on June 10, 2019
The Viniya (monastic rules of conduct) describes 227 rules.
The offenses range from irremediable, heavy, to light.
4 Parajika Offenses
They are heavy offenses for which there is no remedy.
- Sexual act
- Killing any human being
- False statement about supernormal attainment
The penalty is ex-communication from the Sangha of monks.
13 Samghadiesa Offenses
- Heavy offense that must be dealt by Sangha meetings
- Must undergo probation and penance imposed by the Sangha to receive rehabilitation
2 Indefinite rules
- No fixed penalties for the transgressions
- However, there are procedures by which the Sangha may assess appropriate punishment
30 rules entailing expiation with forfeiture
- forfeit something as a penalty
92 rules entailing expiation [without forfeiture]
4 rules entailing confession
75 monastic rules of discipline
- minor precepts regulating the conduct of the novice or the monk
- mode of dress, deportment, eating, …