Updated on May 2, 2019
- Saya U Soe Paing was my mentor at RIT and UCC.
- Saya recruited his students to join UCC. Some early students could not wait long for the UCC project to get established. A few left for overseas.
- Saya won a Collegiate Scholarship in 1956.
- He won a Gold Medal for scoring the highest marks in Mathematics in I.Sc. examination. Saya Dr. Tin Win (M62) and another student were the co-winners.
- Saya received a scholarship to study BSEE and MSEE at Stanford University. Saya U Ko Ko Lay (UCC) received a scholarship to study BSCE and MSCE at Stanford University. Other scholarship holders include Bohmu Percy Maung Maung (Navy) and U Win Htein (PWD).
- On their return journey to Burma by an ocean liner, Saya U Soe Paing and Saya U Ko Ko Lay were joined by Saya Allysen Htay (C58) and Saya U Tin Maung Nyunt (M60) who had finished their graduate studies in the US. They spent the evenings playing Bridge. They became close friends.
- Saya Paing joined the EE Department as Assistant Lecturer. He helped Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe found UCC along with Saya U Myo Min and Saya U Ko Ko Lay.
- He transferred to UCC as Systems Manager.
- He did his M.Sc. (Computer Science) at the University of Southampton in the UK.
- He wrote a brief bio for the SPZPs.
- He described more details in his articles about his studies and work at UCC and beyond.
Saya’s writings and contributions
- Student days at Rangoon University
- RIT Saya Soccer Team
- RIT-UCC Connection
- Three sayas attending SPZP
- “Computer Ah Sa UCC Ga” and articles can be read from SCRIB-D
- With the help of Sayagyi U Ba Than and Saya U Thaw Kaung, Saya compiled artifacts at the Universities Central Library. Saya prepared a draft version for of HMEE-2012.
- Saya revised the translation by U Ohn Khine (Section One in full, Section Two in Summary).
- Saya hosted several gatherings for RIT-UCC alumni visiting Myanmar.