Updated on May 2, 2019
- Htay Lwin Nyo (HLN) matriculated from SPHS in 1968.
- He was admitted as Roll Number One to 1st BE.
- He graduated among the top of the EP74 class.
- He studied Computer Science at UCC.
- He received a Ph.D. in EE from Syaracuse University, New York.
- He taught part-time at SJSU.
- I had the honor to push the incinerator, and later to scatter the ashes in the ocean. I wrote about HLN’s Sea Burial for BAPS Newsletter and in the RIT Alumni International Newsletter and updates.
- Khin Maung Zaw (KMZ, EC76) set up special web page for HLN. My poem “HTAY LWIN NYO” was also posted there.
- There was no next-of-kin of HLN in the USA. KMZ remembered that Kyaw Swa Than (Jaws, UCC) was HLN’s cousin. The missing link was supplied by some alumni including Ko Ko Kyi (EC72).
Ko Ko Kyi (EC72) wrote :
Ko Hla Min, sad to read about Htay Lwin Nyo’s sea burial. I played a small part in notifying his first cousin Myo San Than in Toronto, when my brother called me from Birmingham, UK and informed me about HLN’s demise. Apparently, someone from California had contacted a friend of my brother’s and asked him to inform me, as he knew that HLN had a cousin living in Toronto. I informed HLN’s cousin Myo San Than, who called his elder brother living in Winnipeg, Canada. Subsequently, this cousin went to the US for HLN’s funeral. HLN was a good friend of mine, although he was two years my junior at RIT.