Updated on March 19, 2019
This post will be updated with the feedback of the 69ers.
- 1965 – 1969
- 1970 – 1998
- 1999 : 30th Anniversary of Graduation
- 2009 : 40th Anniversary of Graduation
- 2014 : 50th Anniversary of Admission to RIT
- 2019 : Golden Jubilee of Graduation
- Reunion in 2017
- Health Care Fund
- F-Block Soccer Team
- Kabar Myint Thein (GBNF)
- Mini-gathering in New Jersey, USA
- More than 5 decades ago at RIT
- Saw Yan Naing (GBNF)
- Some 69ers
- U Chit Tin (GBNF)
- Two Mingalars in Sept 2018
- U Tin Myint (GBNF)
- Some Health Problems
- Many members matriculated in 1963 and attended the last I.Sc.(A).
- Most members were admitted to 2nd BE in November 1964
- Most of them graduated in 1969
- A few took sabbatical and graduated in later years
- Some left RIT before graduation
- Some seniors took sabbatical
- Some are GBNF
There were originally 300+ members (close to 320).
The GNBF list has grown over the years.
In December 2017, the list contained 79 members.
In June 2018, the list grew to 82.
- 1999 : 30rd Anniversary of Graduation
- 2009 : 40th Anniversary of Graduation
- 2014 : 50th Anniversary of Admission to RIT (first ever 2nd BE)
- 2019 : True Golden Jubilee (Dec 14, 2019 at YTU Assembly Hall)
Every month : Breakfast Gathering
Ad hoc : Welcoming members visiting from abroad
Every year : Annual Dinner (with entertainment)
With the introduction of the then new Education Systems, 300+ students who had passed the I.Sc.(A) examinations were admitted to the first ever 2nd BE.
1965 – 1969
The members had to decide which major they want to pursue starting from 3rd BE. There were eight Engineering Departments :
Many students chose Civil and Mechanical.
The Electrical Engineering (EE) students have to chose Power (EP) or Communications (EC) in their 5th BE.
In 1969, 30+ EP students and 11 EC students graduated.
1970 – 1998
After graduation, most worked for the Government Departments.
Some worked for private companies and family business.
Some moved to work overseas.
1999 : 30th Anniversary of Graduation
Some 69ers organized a Reunion and SPZP to commemorate the 30th Anniversary of the Graduation.
U Tint Lwin (Daniel, M69) e-mailed me about the Reunion. Daw Saw Yu Tint (Alice, T69) and Saya U Soe Paing e-mailed me photos of the Reunion and some other gatherings in Yangon.
Sad to note that some organizers such as Ko Sein Win (Nar Yee) and Ko Kyaw Than are GBNF.
I started the “RIT Alumni International Newsletter” in April, 1999.
U Khin Maung Zaw (KMZ, EC76) designed and implemented http://www.ex-rit.org a month of two later. I was the Editor and Content Provider for the web site. Several sayas and alumni submitted articles, news and photos.
RIT Alumni International was formed with Saya Allen Htay (C58) as President with the main objective to host the First RIT Grand Reunion and Saya Pu Zaw Pwe in October 2000.
I wrote the “SAYA PUZAW PWE” poem, 64 posts on “Countdown to the Reunion” and 36 posts on “Post-Reunion”.
2009 : 40th Anniversary of Graduation
Textile and Chemical
2014 : 50th Anniversary of Admission to RIT
TODO : Add Group Photos
2019 : Golden Jubilee of Graduation
The GJ will take place on December 14, 2019 at the YTU Assembly Hall.
Confirmed attendees from overseas include
- U Hla Min (US)
- U Tint Lwin (Daniel, Singapore)
- Daw Lin Lin Aung (Singapore)
Reunion in 2017
Place : Diamond Hall, M3 Food Center, Bahan
Date : December 22, 2017
Time : starting at 5:30 pm
Organizers : U Aung Min (M69) and team
Records : Photos and Videos to be uploaded to the RIT 69ers Facebook Pages.
Benefits for attending the event:
- Lots of Fun
- Vitamin F (for Friendship)
- Vitamin LL (for Long Life)
- Food (Buffet)
- Drinks (wine/whisky/ Beer/soft / plain tea etc.)
- Entertainment (opening song, KTV, lucky draw + parcel game)
- Speech (sharing memory of your youth)
- Feel free to contribute (from zero to infinity)
We welcome your idea to make the event more fruitful, exciting, and memorable
The Class of 69 has several types of gatherings:
Monthly breakfast gathering
M69ers meet at Royal Rose Restaurant (Taw Win Hnin Si). The restaurant is run by U Soe Nyunt (a Paulian who is junior to us).
M69ers are joined by their classmates from other disciplines as well. They include Civil (e.g. Ko Han Sein), Chemical (e.g. Ko Albert Kyaw Min), Electrical (e.g. Ko Shwe), Textile (e.g. Saw Yu Tint) and Architecture (e.g. Uzin Bobby Myo Tun).
Usually, there is a host to celebrate an event (Birthday, Anniversary).
EE69ers try to meet at least once every two months.
Meeting for 69er Health Care Fund
I was invited to a meeting held at U Aung Min’s house. We had Mohinga.
Ad hoc gatherings
- Welcoming visiting classmates from overseas
- Dana by classmates from overseas
- Garawa to Sayagyi U Ba Than (around his birthday : October 2) by M69 and some from other disciplines. The Garawa for 2018 took place at Winner Inn on September 30, 2018.
The venues for the gatherings include (a) Kandawgyi Westin Royal (b) Crystal Jade Restaurant (c) Shwe Bei (d) Royal Rose Restaurant.
There may be breakfast or lunch gatherings.
In 1999, there was a gathering and mini-SPZP to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Graduation. U Tint Lwin (Daniel, M69) and Daw Saw Yu Tint (Alice, T69) e-mailed me about the event. I informed the sayas and alumni in a Newsletter (which became known as RIT Alumni International Newsletter).
Sad to note that some organizers for that event (U Kyaw Than, U “NarYi” Sein Win …) are GBNF
In 2009, the group celebrated the 40th Anniversary.
In 2014, the group celebrated the Golden Jubilee (GJ) of Admission to the first ever 2nd BE in November 1964.
The true Golden Jubilee (50th Anniversary of Graduation) will be held on December 14, 2019 at the YTU Assembly Hall.
Health Care Funds
- U Aung Min (M69) is Chair of the 69er HCF (Health Care Fund).
- He regularly sends out monthly and quarterly reports : (a) Income (b) Expenditure (c) GBNF list.
The major donors include
- Ivan Lee (U Khin Maung Oo (M69, New Jersey)
- U Sein Myint (EP69, Singapore)
- Daw Myint Myint (C69)
Many donate once or more at the 69er Gatherings and for special celebrations.
Volunteers for the 69er HCF
- U Aung Min (M)
- U Myo Nyunt (C)
- U Zau Lai (EE)
- U Kyaw Zin (EE)
- U Myint Thein (M, GBNF)
- U Shwe (EE)
- U Myint Sein (M)
- U Kyaw Nyunt (M)
- U Sein Win (Pet)
- U Yee Pinn (Maung Maung Kaung, M)
- U “David” Myint Thein (M)
- U Win Lwin (M)
- U Chit Tin (EE, GBNF)
- U Aung Gyi Shwe (EE)
- Daw Myint Myint (C)
- Daw Thaung Htwe (C)
- U Kyaw Min Thein (C)
- U Moe Hein (ChE)
- U “Albert” Kyaw Min (ChE)
- U Hla Shwe (Tex, GBNF)
- U Sai Kyaw Myint (Met)
For Upper Burma/Myanmar:
- U Myint Aung (M, GBNF)
- U Sein Tun (C)
- Daw Yi Yi Khaing (Vilma, ChE)
- Daw Nyunt Nyunt Wai (Millie, Tex)
- U Tint Lwin (Daniel, M)
- U Hla Min (EC)
- U Khin Maung Oo (Ivan, M)
- U Sein Myint (EP)
- U Win Boh (Robert, EC)
- Dr. Myo Khin (C)
- U Sein Myint is a major donor of the fund.
- The donors’ list is maintained by Sa Maung Maung (EP69) with the help of U Shwe (EP69).
TODO : Copy list
F-Block Soccer Team
The rare photo of the F-Block Soccer Team was shared by Ko Myint Maung (Bugyi, EP69) with the help of Ko Win Maung (Lake).
Ko Myint Thein (Kabar), Ko Aung Thu Yein (Brownie) and Ko Tun Oo Khine are GBNF (Gone But Not Forgotten).
Sa Maung Maung, Ko Myint Maung, and Ko Myat Soe Lwin (Sai Hwet) take part in the 69er gatherings.
Kabar Myint Thein (GBNF)
- There were two Myint Thein in the Class of 69.
- One was named Maung Kabar (or Kabar for short) after the cartoon character of our younger days.
- During one of my visits to Yangon, Kabar picked me up to attend the Monthly Breakfast Gathering of the 69ers.
- Kabar was an active organizer for the 69ers.
- Kabar had medical examination in Singapore and India.
- He became weak to have a transplant.
- He passed away in Yangon.
- According to U Aung Min (M69), thirty five or so 69ers were present for Kabar’s Last Journey.
- His spouse predeceased him.
- He raised his large extended family well.
- Kabar’s family invited the 69ers to the Yet Lei Soon Kwyay.
Mini-gathering in New Jersey, USA
Ko Khin Maung Oo (Ivan Lee, M69) was interviewed by a reporter for his experience as an amateur Real Estate developer. His daughter and son-in-law are among the top Real Estate developers in the East Coast. His grand daughter also wrote about Ivan’s life journey. Ivan has two daughters and six grand children.
Saw Yu Tint (Alice, T69) is my classmate and my Sayagadaw. She visits New Jersey, UK and Singapore. Alice has three children and two grand children.
Ko Toung (Tom, EC69) has two children. He spends time in Hong Kong to be with his grand child.
Dr. Tun Aung Gyaw (EC69) is still working. He works on multiple projects. He has five children and four (and going) grand children.
For the past several years, Ivan has hosted the RIT-UCC gathering at his house in New Jersey, USA. The timing is chosen so that Sayagyi Dr. Aung Gyi and Saya U Soe Paing can participate. Ko Toung often hosts a second gathering (if he is not in Hong Kong). Frederick Thetgyi, Ko Sein Tin, Ko Aung Myint and several 69ers have attended one or more gatherings.
More than 5 decades ago at RIT
Posting by Ko Tin Aung Win (M69)
L to R,
Tin Aung Win(Oscar),
Saw Yan Naing (GBNF)
(1) Third casualty for 69ers in less than two months.
(2) U Aung Min (M69), Chair, 69er HCF posted:
- Sad news
- One of our classmates Saw Yan Naing @ Bo Bo C69 (Meikhtila) passed away at Mandalay on 3 December, 2017.
- He got stroke on January this year and became paralyzed.
- May his soul rest peace
- Take care all
- U Myo Nyunt (C69), his daughter and his son-in-law are RIT alumni. His grand daughter is attending 2nd Year classes at YTU. They cover Three Generations.
- Abdul Raof (EP69) and U Tin Htut (Harry, M69) are the seniors in the Class.
- U Myint Maung (Bu, EP69) is one of the juniors in the Class.
- U Nyi Hla Nge (C69) and U Myint Maung are eligible bachelors in the Class.
- Saw I Zeyar Linn (M69) is the 86th entry in GBNF (Gone But Not Forgotten).
- U Han Sein (C69) is a Tone Kyaw.
- Albert Kyaw Min (ChE69), Daniel Tint Lwin (M69) and Robert Win Boh (EC69) are guitarists and vocalists.
- Daw Myint Myint (C69), U Khin Maung Oo (Ivan Lee, M69) and U Sein Myint (EP69) are the major donors to the 69er HCF (Health Care Fund).
- The Class has distributed the Address Book three (or more) times. The list was prepared by U Aung Min (M69) and team.
- (Several 69ers are former sayas at RIT. They are busy during the SPZP season, and some could not attend the 69er gatherings in that period.
Ko Tin Tun (M69)
- Ko Tin Tun (M69) was my classmate in Std IV(D) of SPHS (St. Paul’s High School). Like most transfer students, the Brothers put me in Section D. He was the top student in our section. I was a close second.
- For various reasons, Ko Tin Tun did not find much time to study for the Matriculation. He rebounded in I.Sc.(A) and at RIT.
- Ko Tin Tun was called “Phone Gyi”. His beloved mother would bring lunch and feed him. He was the envy of most students, who had to bring their lunch or buy lunch with their pocket money (typically 25 pyas).
- Ko Tin Tun studied Naval Architecture. Even after retirement, he teaches and/or tutors interested students.
Ko Aung Min (M69) was my classmate in I.Sc.(A). Our roll numbers were close. He is the Chair of the 69er HCF and a core organizer for 69er events.
Ko Tin Shein (M69) reminded me that we were in Saya Des’s section in 2nd BE. He is also called “Phone Gyi”. He was a member of the RIT Chinlon team that was victorious in the Inter Institute tournament
Ko Htay Aung (M69) was a star swimmer and Captain of the RIT water polo team. He won several events (mostly free style) : 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1500m and 2000m cross lake (from RUBC to Dubern). Ma Than Than (spouse of Ko Htay Aung) was Burma Selected sprinter.
Ko Htay Aung and Sai Kham Pan (EP69, Badminton) are Burma Selected.
M69ers pay respect to Sayagyi at least once every year around October 2 (Sayagyi’s birthday). They are joined by other 69ers as time permits.
- There were 30 or so female students among the 69ers.
- Most of them studied Textile or Chemical.
- A few took Civil and Mechanical.
- Thwin Thwin Aye Hmi (Olive) took Architecture.
- Tin Tin (Anne) took Electrical.
- Ma Myint Myint (C69) and her spouse had successful business. She is a major donor to the 69er HCF (Health Care Fund) and the YTU Modernization Project. She sponsored several tables at the 69er gatherings. Sadhu, sadhu, sadhu.
In 1969, eleven students graduated with EC (Electrical Communications). Three are GBNF (Gone But Not Forgotten).
- U Hla Min (Northern California, USA)
- Dr. Tun Aung Gyaw (Massachusetts, USA)
- U Toung (Connecticut, USA)
- Daw Tin Tin (Anne, Southern California, USA)
- U Oo Kyaw Hla (Canada?)
- U Win Boh (Robert, Australia)
- Saya U Than Lwin (Henry)
- U Maung Ko
- U Kyaw Soe (GBNF)
- U Aung Thu Yein (Brownie, GBNF)
- U Chit Tin (GBNF)
U Chit Tin (GBNF)
He worked for MOGE before moving to Singapore. After retirement, he moved back to Myanmar. He is the third of the EC69 to pass away.
I met him in Singapore and at the 69er Gatherings in Yangon.
From Ivan Lee
Dear 69er Classmates
We all are 70s, be aware of it. Recently and lately all we see our internal news is deepest condolences and sad events.
We are all on the same boat and not too much we can do against the natural phenomenon.
However what I would like to say is:
Yesterday, let bygone be bygone, forget it.
Today, our glory mature is at last moment, cherish it.
Tomorrow, right and wrong, up or down, wait and see it.
Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles us.
Ivan (M69), New Jersey, USA
Two Mingalars in Sept 2018
U Aung Min (M69) wrote :
- This is the invitation to all disciplines of RIT69ers to come and wish for good health and well being of our friend Ko Ngwe Tun Tun (C69).
- His birthday was on the 6th September.
- He will host the breakfast gathering as follows.
- Venue: Royal Rose (Taw Win Hnin Si) Restaurant
- Time: 7 to 8:30 am
- Date: 30 September (Sunday)
- Sayagyi U Ba Than (Retired Professor of Mechanical Engineering) will turn 88 on 2 October 2018.
- There will be Saya Puzawpwe (by all disciplines) to pay homage to Sayagyi at his place (Winner Inn) after our breakfast gathering.
- The event is open to all.
- Your participation is highly appreciated.
- Contributions for Garawa are welcome.
U Tin Myint (GBNF)
U Tin Myint (a) John T Lee (a) Lee Tan Choy (M69) passed away.
From Daw Saw Yu Tint (Alice)
It was in 2015 at Fremont phonegyi kyung, I was leaving when he called out “Alice pyan pyee lar?” I nodded and waved him goodbye without realizing that would be my last for him!! Dear Ko Tin Myint may you rest in peace. And Lyo I am so very sorry. Please accept our deepest condolences.
From U Thein Swe
I remembered, when we stayed in C hostel-hall during RIT days, the tiger-skin (belongs to KoTin Myint) was stolen. KoTin Myint did not get angry and continued to boil tea- water.
From U Myo Min
Ko Tan Choy (Ko Tin Myint) is my intimate friend. Rest in peace, my dear.
From U Kyaw Thein
Rest in Peace.
From David Myint Thein
Rest In Peace, Ko Tin Myint. Leo Kyin Sein was my classmate when we were attending I.Sc A at Myitkyina Intermediate College and reached RIT together in 1964. Please accept my deepest sympathies to you and your family
From Robert Win-Boh
John T Lee @ Ko Tin Myint M69 came to Benny Tan M70 house to pick me & drove me to halfmoon bay monastery & along the southern coast of S.F on my second last visit to USA in 2009. He was a close friend during RIT days. Rest in peace my friend John TM & deepest condolences to Mable LKS + family from Rob W-B Australia.
From U Han Sein
From Duwa Zau Lai
I am really sorry to hear the news of Ko Tin Myint. I remember that he was a good player of table tennis.His better half Lyo K S is one of our Myitkyina crowd. My sincere condolences to the bereaved family.
From Sai Kyaw Myint
Rest in Peace,Tan Choy. He was class mate when we were in Taunggyi. Lyo Kyin Sein was my room mate in first list in R I T 63-64. Both of they are very close friends of us. I’m so sad to hear it.
From U Aung Min
Sadness, Astonishment, Condolences and Remembrances.
MIXED UP in my heart
REST IN PEACE Ko Tin Myint
It is ALARMING ALARMING ALARMING
We had made a record .
RIT69ers lost 4 classmates within 66 days .
From U Ngwe Tun (Tun Tun)
Rest in Peace.
From U Kyaw Nyunt
Surprise …… RIP. KTM.
From Naw Mu Mu Aye
My sincere condolences and deepest sympathy to my friend Lyo and family. May Ko Tin Myint’s soul rest in peace.
From U Kyaw Min Thein
Garawa for U Ba Than
On August 3, 2018 U Aung Min (M69) posted :
Dear RIT69ers especially for mechanical friends
- We will pay GARAWA to professor U BA THAN at his place (WINNER INN HOTEL) on 30 September 2018 (Sunday).
- Sayagyi will be 88 on 2 October, 2018.
- Long live Sayagyi.
- We are lucky that we still have this chance.
- We will start collecting GARAWA CASH at monthly breakfast gatherings.
- Cash transfer through banks is also welcome.
Track and Field
- Ko Aung Gyi Shwe
- Ma Khin Than Myint Tin (Margaret)
- Sai Kham Pan (Burma selected)
- Ko Myint Sein
- Ko Bishnu Shahi
- Ko Soe Win (Captain of RIT team)
- Ko Tommy
- Ko Han Sein
- Ma Lyo Kyin Sein
- Ko Aung Than
- Ko Tin Shein
- Ko Htin Aung
- Ko Hla Min (last elected EC of RUBC)
- Ko Sein Myint
- Ko Win Naing (Dicky, GBNF)
- Ko Win Maung (Lake)
- Ko Kyaw Sint (GBNF)
- Ko Myo Nyunt
- Ko Aung Gyi Shwe
Swimming and Water Polo
- Ko Htay Aung (Burma selected)
- Ko Sein Myint
- Ko Moe Hein
- Ko Hla Kyaing
- Ko Win Maung (Lake)
- Ko Han Sein
- Ko Tin Myint (GBNF)
- Ko Kyaw Sint (GBNF)
- Ko Kyaw Nyunt
- Saw Edison
- Sa Maung Maung
- Ko Myint Maung (Bu)
- Ko Aye Thein
Weightlifting and Body Building
- Ko Jimmy Kyin (GBNF)
- Ko Khin Win (GBNF)
- Ko Myint Soe
Some Health Problems
U Myint Soe (M)
Ko Aung Min (M69, Chair, 69er HCF) wrote :
Ko Tin Mg Aye (M69) and I visited and encouraged Ko Myint Soe (M69) this afternoon (September 19, 2018). He fell down a few days ago.
We talked together for an hour.
He is fine and improving a lot.
He had to see his doctor this evening.
Ko Thein Swe (EP69) wrote :
အာရုံေၾကာအားတိုးေဆး စားၾကပါ၊ Calcium + Vitamin D စားၾကပါ
ဒိန္ခ်ဥ္ေန႔စဥ္ေသာက္ပါ၊ 1 ft ထက္ပိုျမင့္တာကိုအလြတ္မတက္
ပါနဲ႔၊လက္ရမ္း handrail ကိုင္ၿပီး ေလွခါးတက္ပါ၊ Bathroom/
WC ကိုအတြင္းမွ ဂ်က္မထိုးရ၊ Lock မခ်ရ၊
Editor’s Note :
Some Senior Centers in the US offer a free course on “Maintaining Balance”.
U Kyaw Thein (C)
He got three stents inside his arteries at Kan Tharyar Hospital.
U Tin San (C)
He was hospitalized for 4 days due to the gallstone problems.
U Myint Sein (M)
He suffered internal bleeding with black stool.