Updated on March 14, 2019
- Dr. Soe Than
- U Mra Tun
- U Kyaw Nyein (GBNF)
- U Win Naing (GBNF)
Dr. Soe Than
- U Soe Than graduated with Mathematics from RASU.
- He received his M.Sc. from the University of Lancaster in the United Kingdom.
- He received his Ph.D. from the University of Kansas in the United States.
- He taught at VMI (Virginia Military Institute).
- He is currently working in the Washington, D.C, (District of Columbia).
- His friend Sayama Daw Swe Swe Than asked U Soe Than to tutor Daw Wai Wai Than. The rest is history.
U Mra Tun
- Mra is a Rakkhine spelling for Mya.
- U Mra Tun was a Mathematics major and joined UCC as an applications programmer.
- There were some difficulties in finding a suitable university for Mra in the UK. He received an offer from the University of Belfast, but there was violence notably in connection with IRA [Irish Republican Army]. He ended up migrating to the United States.
- Mra Tun owns a set of equipment (Lead Guitar, Rhythm Guitar, Bass Guitar, a set of Drums, and audio equipment) to form and lead a band.
- At one period, he was the leader of TAMPS band. The band’s name is formed from the initials of the members : Tin Aung, Austin Xavier, Mra Tun, Pierpont Morgan and Sidney Sann Aung.
- In the USA, he often jams with the local music bands.
- He and Ricky Zaw (brother of Daw Nyunt Nyunt Zaw (T68)) performed a duet at the BASES Annual Dinner in Los Angeles.
Life after UCC
He worked as an independent consultant and as a contractor for IBM. Most of his projects are related to maintaining or enhancing COBOL (Common Business Oriented Language), considered as a “dead language” by some.
A few years back, he had a project assignment in Sacramento, the Capital of California. He came down to meet and greet Saya U Soe Paing at Dr. Rafiul Ahad’s house.
U Kyaw Nyein (GBNF)
- U Kyaw Nyein taught Numeral Methods at the UCC courses.
- He studied in the UK.
- He was athletic and played Football and Volleyball.
- He had a kidney problem.
- His “Ah Nar Dei” attitude (to use the health fund provided by former colleagues) led to his demise.
U Win Naing (GBNF)
- He was a Science Scholar.
- He received his M.Sc. (Computer Science) from UCC.
- He is GBNF.