Updated on March 14, 2019
- Saya U Tin Swe (GBNF)
- Saya Allen Htay (GBNF)
- U Myint Sein (GBNF)
- U San Myint Thane
- Charlie Tseng
- Ko Toung
- Lucas Lee
U Tin Swe (GBNF)
Saya U Tin Swe was a Power User at UCC. He supervised Ko Aung Kyaw Pe (EP69) for his Master’s thesis. Saya worked with Power Distribution & Analysis programs. Saya also collaborated with his former students including Dr. San Oo (EP67).
He was wrongly called as U Tint Swe, U Tin Shwe and U Tin Shwe Gyi.
He is the brother of U Nan Wai (a famous Painter).
He was a member of the Prome Hall Football (Soccer) team which won the Inter-Hall Soccer Tournament for three consecutive years. U Chan Tha was Captain of the team and University First Eleven, and Past Captain & Gold of RUBC (Rangoon University Boat Club).
Saya also played Tennis.
Saya graduated with EE in 1953. He was one year junior to Saya U Sein Hlaing.
Saya pursued his graduate studies in the USA. Upon his return, he became a Lecturer.
In the early days, there were few Professorships. Saya passed away before the creation of separate EC and EP Departments.
Saya Allen Htay (GBNF)
Saya Allen Htay (C58) joined the Faculty of Engineering, Rangoon University as an Assistant Lecturer.
He studied his Masters at Harvard University. On the return journey by an ocean liner, he played Bridge with Saya U Soe Paing, Saya U Tin Maung Nyunt and Saya U Ko Ko Lay. They became close friends.
Saya loves RPN (Reverse Polish Notation) and Scheme (Lexically scoped LISP).
He supervised the Final Year Thesis for U Kyaw Thu (Dennis Mackey, C73) and George Peters. The program for the Thesis was run on the ICL1902S Computer at UCC.
U Myint Sein (GBNF)
U Myint Sein attended PPBRS (Private Primary Boundary Road School), SPHS (St. Paul’s High School) and IE (Institute of Economics). He is a cousin brother of U Nyunt Tin (M70, RIT Table Tennis).
He served as Principal of BARB (Burma Astro Research Bureau). He taught Medical Astrology at the School of Indigenous Medicine (Taing Yin Saya Pyinnya) in Mandalay. He later founded “Idea Astrology”.
He is my childhood friend. As Principal at BARB, he asked me if I can help him to speed up some Veda processes (e.g. generation of a Natal Horoscope).
I assigned two students Ko Win Latt and Ko Zaw Tun to develop computer programs for the Veda projects.
Ko Win Latt
Ko Win Latt owned a computer and was also an excellent programmer. Under my supervision and with the guidance of U Myint Sein, Ko Win Latt came up with three versions. He named then WinHoro V3, V6 and V9.
V3 produces the “basic” horoscope with Yathi (Rasi), Bawa and Nawin (Navamsa). It is also known as “Tri Cekka Zatar” referring to the three parts. It takes some time (a few minutes to an hour) if done manually.
V6 produces a “better” horoscope.
V9 produces the “best” horoscope.
WinHoro was implemented using BASIC (an interpretive language).
- BASIC (Beginner’s All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) was designed by Professors Kemeny & Kurtz for use with the Dartmouth College Time Sharing System (CSS).
- Bill Gates and Paul Allen implemented “Tiny BASIC” for the MITS Altair. They co-founded Microsoft.
- BASICA, GWBASIC and variants became a popular language for microcomputers and PCs.
Ko Zaw Tun
One needs expert knowledge to “interpret” a Zartar. Ko Zaw Tun used Prolog (language for Logic Programming) to implement the Bedin Rules. He tested his program with several sets of data. He was surprised when his program said that “the Two Year Old is a rich person (possibly a Millionaire)”. He thought that there must be a bug. It turned out that the Two Year Old is the grand son of a wealthy Sawbwa, who decided that his grand son should inherit his wealth.
Sad to note that my good friend U Myint Sein is GBNF. It was good news and bad news for his son, who was back in Yangon to take examination for Master Mariner. He lost his father, but was present at his father’s last journey.
U San Myint Thane
U San Myint Thane (Sammy, EC79) asked his brother Dr. Thein Toe Thane in the USA to send him some books and a Microprocessor tool kit for use in his Final Year Project. Sammy and Kelvin used the microprocessor tool kit and ran demo on the assembled microprocessor.
Sammy spent some time at UCC while waiting to migrate to the USA.
- The concept of Duality can be found in Mathematics and Logic.
- The “Line-Point Duality” says that “Two intersecting lines determine a point. Two points determine a line [which passes through both]”. In this Geometric aspect, Line and Point are duals.
- De Morgan’s Theorems in “Set Theory” and “Boolean Algebra” are duals.
- The book by Klingman discussed “Hardware Software Duality”. He said that “Any hardware can be implemented in software. Any software can be implemented in hardware.”
- There are trade-offs to consider whether to use hardware, software, firmware or a combination.
Great Expectations and Relaxation Techniques
Sammy’s mother wanted Sammy to get married and was willing to find suitable candidates, but Sammy set the requirements too high. She must be young, intelligent, and able to play Classical and Modern music.
Finally, by applying some “Relaxation Techniques”, Sammy became a loving spouse and a caring father of twins.
- Saya U Soe Paing had recruited Charlie Tseng (EC70), but he managed to migrate to the United States before the UCC employees were “selected and validated” by PSC (Public Services Commission).
- Charlie formed a company called VersaSoft (somewhat similar to the D-Base software). His spouse Diana (ChE71) is a Chemical Engineer and worked for a Division of IBM (International Business Machines).
- Charlie pays respect to Saya Paing whenever Saya visits the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Ko Toung (Tom, EC69) attended some courses at Mandalay Hall.
- He migrated to the United States. He did post graduate studies about the same time as U Khin Maung Oo (Ivan, M69).
- He lives in Trumbull, Connecticut.
- He is retired and often travels to Hong Kong to spend time with his son and grand child(ren).
- He took us to visit Yale University.
- Lucas Lee (SPHS 66) is a classmate of U Myint Lwin (Charlie Cheah, Burma Judo Champion).
- Lucas is a Physics major. He volunteered when UCC was stationed at Mandalay Hall in the main campus.
- He migrated to the USA. He joined the armed forces and received training in electronics.
- Later, as a Veteran, he was offered a job at HP (Hewlett Packard).
- He had a liver transplant many years ago and is doing well.
There are probably several who spent some time at UCC. They include
- U Myint Oo (Later worked at Phaung Gyi Thin Dan)
- U Tauk Tun (Mickey)
- U Ba Than Aye (Myo Myint Lay, GBNF) joined the Army and died in a car accident