Updated on March 14, 2019
- Dr. Tin Maung
- Dr. Kyaw Thein
- Dr. Pike Tin
Dr. Tin Maung
Saya Dr. Tin Maung (GBNF) is the son of Saya Kar, who served as Minister of Education in the Caretaker Government.
Saya joined the Department of Mathematics as Tutor. He went for further studies in UK. Upon his return, he was promoted to Lecturer.
(He succeeded Saya Dr. Chit Swe) as Director of UCC.
During his tenure, DCS (Department of Computer Science) was established with Saya U Ko Ko Lay as Professor and Saya U Tun Aung Gyaw as Associate Professor.
In 1987, ICST (Institute of Computer Science and Technology) was established with Saya as Rector.
There were four Departments :
- Hardware Technology
- Software Technology
- Information Systems
- Computational Mathematics.
Saya U Ko Ko Lay was Professor of Information Systems. Saya U Tun Aung Gyaw as Associate Professor for Hardware Technology. Saya U Hla Min was Associate Professor of Software Technology.
Bachelor degree courses in CS and CT were given. In the first batch, there were 30 CS and 15 CT students.
Saya continued to implement the Vision and Mission set by the UCC Founders, and managed to go further.
Saya did not live long enough to see 26 batches (from ICST and UCSY) host the 5th Acariya Pu Zaw Pwe on January 14, 2018.
Dr. Kyaw Thein
Dr. Kyaw Thein succeeded Dr. Tin Maung as ICST Rector. He is also known as Saya Thein.
Generations at UCC
Saya Thein told the attendees of the 5th Acariya Pu Zaw that I (U Hla Min) was Generation Zero, Bo Htay (Dr. Maung Maung Htay) was Generation One, and he was Generation Two.
- Saya was a fledgling tutor in the Mathematics Department in 1963.
- He was a top student in his Honors Class (1958 – 1962).
- Saya held Tutorial for the topics taught by Saya U Khin Zaw, Saya Choudry and Sayama Daw Khin Ma Ma in our I.Sc.(A) class at Leik Khone in 1963.
- Saya Thein encouraged me.
- I was top of I.Sc. (A) and joined the first ever 2nd BE class at RIT in Gyogone.
- We crossed our paths again when we (Saya TAG [Dr. Tun Aung Gyaw, EC69], U Soe Win (EC70) and I) visited Southampton University to see Saya Paing (U Soe Paing) and Saya Zaw (U Aung Zaw).
- Saya Thein was doing his Ph.D.
- Saya is an expert on Differentiable Manifold (and related topics).
- Saya Zaw and Saya Thein joined us to see Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral, and a Safari.
- As Saya Chit’s assistant and general hand, I worked on several projects (e.g. High School Mathematics, Children’s Treasury of Knowledge) with the Mathematics sayas (including Saya Thein).
- Saya Thein became Principal of Sittwe College.
- Saya Thein succeeded Saya Dr. Tin Maung as Rector of ICST.
Dr. Pike Tin
Dr. Pike Tin succeeded Dr. Kyaw Thein as ICST Rector. He is also known as Saya Pike.
Saya Pike’s name literally “remain on a [fishing] net”. Saya’s mother had a few miscarriages. When Saya was conceived, his mother wanted to make sure that Saya would be born safe and sound. She performed a “Yadaya” requiring someone close to her hold a net and catch Saya (if only in her imagination).
Saya received his Ph.D from Monash University, Australia. The dissertation is based on Stochastic Processes (and related topics). For many years, Saya served as Reviewer for research papers.
I had the opportunity to audit the “Linear Programming” course by Saya and learn his teaching style.
I also worked with Saya and others (Dr. Khin Maung Win, U Sein Min and U Soe Nyunt) on the “new” High School Mathematics Project.