Updated on March 15, 2019
C is the 3rd letter of the English Alphabet.
C is a Roman Numeral with the value 100.
C may stand for
- Celsius (which was called Centigrade in the early days).
CWS may stand for College World Series (Baseball).
RC may stand for
- Recreation Center (e.g. in the Rangoon University Main Campus)
- Regional College (e.g. RC1, RC2, RC3)
- Roman Catholic
WC may stand for
- Word Count (a feature of some Word Processing Systems).
- Water Closet (Restroom)
WCC may stand for World Council of Churches.
Uzin Bobby Myo Tun (A69) wrote :
The Recreation Center in the Rangoon University Main Campus was known to all as ‘RC’ in the 1960s.
E is the fifth letter of the English Alphabet.
We use E to stand for Engineering. e.g. ChE (Chemical Engineering).
We use E to stand for Electrical or Electronic. Examples include :
- EE for Electrical Engineering
- EC for Electrical Communications
- EP Electrical Power
- EPC for Electric Power Corporation
- IEEE stands for Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers.
- IEEE-CS is a Computer Society of IEEE.
E stands for Education. e.g. IIE stands for Institute of International Education.
E stands for Exponent.
e.g. 1E6 (stands for a million) and 1E-6 (stands for a millionth).
e is Euler’s Constant. It is an irrational number with a value of 2.71828…
The constant is named in honor of the mathematician Euler.
e^x (the Euler Constant raised to the power x) is invariant under Differentiation and Integration.
- Differentiating e^x returns e^x.
- Integrating e^x returns e^x.
- The invariant property of e^x is essential to the Transforms and Transformations used for the Analysis and Synthesis in Engineering problems.
With contributions from Dr. Nyunt Wai (Victor, SPHS63), U Win Myint (UCC), Uzin Bobby Myo Tun (A69), Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint and Michael Po Saw (M67)
The list is not exhaustive.
- 9th letter of the English Alphabet.
- 3rd vowel in English.
- Roman numeral with the value of one.
I may stand for
- Current. e.g. V = IR describes a property of Resistance.
- I, not you
- Information. e.g. IT means Information Technology
- Intelligence. e.g. AI means Artificial Intelligence
- Intermediate. e.g. I.Sc. means Intermediate of Science.
- Intra. e.g. IV means Intravenous
- Institute. e.g. RIT means Rangoon Institute of Technology
- Me, not you
- Iatrogenic (disease caused by doctor)
- Icterus (jaundice)
- Infarction (localized death of an organ)
- Incompatibility (blood transfusion, organ transplantation)
- Ischaemia (decreased blood supply to an organ)
- (I) Inflates the ego that brings one’s downfall!
- I may stand for the President post of the world government, if there is one (the dream of Bertrand Russell).
- 13th letter of the English Alphabet.
- Roman Numeral with the value 50
- L stands for Inductance or Inductor. e.g. RLC Circuit
- L stands for Law. e.g. BL (Bachelor of Law)
- L stands for Liter.
- L stands for Sterling Pound.
- Lb stands for Pound (weight).
- LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display.
- LED stands for Light Emitting Diode.
- LDC stands for Least Developing Country.
- LDL stands for Low Density Cholesterol.
- LLC stands for Limited Liability Corporation.
- LOL stands for Laughing Out Loud.
- LWP stands for Light Weight Process.
- M is the 13th letter of the English Alphabet.
- M is a Roman Numeral with a value of 1000.
- M may stand for Million (or 1,000,000).
- M may stand for Mega. e.g. 1 MB (Megabyte) = 1024 x 1024 bytes (more than a million). This has roots in using the Binary Number System in computers.
- MIT may stand for Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the USA. Professor Horwood (MIT) came to the University of Rangoon as a Visiting Professor. Sayagyi U Ba Hli proposed the Twinning Program, and Professor Horwood helped implement on the MIT side by accepting Burmese students for undergraduate and graduate study.
- MIT may stand for Mandalay Institute of Technology in Myanmar. BIT (Burma Institute of Technology) was renamed as RIT (Rangoon Institute of Technology) to allow engineering institutes to be opened in Mandalay and other cities.
- M&A stands for Mergers and Acquisitions.
- M&M is a brand of chocolate/sweets.
- MI may stand for Machine Intelligence.
- MI may also stand for Military Intelligence.
- MIS may stand for Management Information Systems.
- V is the 23rd letter of the English Alphabet.
- In the Roman Number System, V has a value of 5.
- V is used as a symbol for Victory.
- VG stands for Very Good.
- V may stand for Volt, a unit named in order of Volta.
- VW stands for Volkswagen (or Folk’s Wagon).
- VLSI stands for Very Large Scale Integration.
- VLDB stands for Very Large Data Base.
- In VIBGYOR, V stands for Violet.
- UV stands for Ultra Violet.
Dr. Nyunt Wai wrote :
VLDL Very-low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) cholesterol is produced in the liver and released into the bloodstream to supply body tissues with a type of fat (triglycerides). It is one of the bad cholesterols as it can contribute to narrowing of arteries which may result in heart attack (due to death of part of blood-starved heart muscle).
U Khin Maung Zaw (EC76) wrote :
This SciFi TV series, V
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_(2009_TV_series), have had a cult following though it lasted only 2 years.
- X is the 24th letter of the English Alphabet.
- X is a Roman Numeral with the value Ten.
- X is a Check Mark.
- X represents “Do not know” or “Do not care” (e.g. in Logic diagrams).
- X represents “Unknown”
- X represents “Extra”. e.g. XL (for Extra Large), XXL (for Extra Extra Large), XS (for Extra Small), XXS (for Extra Extra Small)
- X in Red written by a teacher means “Incorrect” or “Wrong”.
- Planet X could mean the Tenth Planet or Unknown Planet.
- Madam X is a movie.
- Malcolm X (American Muslim Leader)
- X and O are symbols used in Tic-Tac-Toe.
- XML stands for eXtensible Markup Language
- XP stands for eXtreme Programming.
- Windows XP is an Operating System.
U Khin Maung Zaw (EC76) wrote :
There was a joke from one comedian when the movie ‘Malcolm X’ came out. [Malcolm X was an American Muslim minister famous in the 1950s and 1960s and was assassinated Feb 21, 1965.] The joke was that he, the comedian, has been away from the movies for quite some time, he did not know and therefore missed the Malcolm I through IX.