Updated on March 12, 2019
The list is not exhaustive.
Beginning with S
- U Saw Hlaing belongs to a family of “First in Burma” starting with his father U Hoke Sein (compiler of the Pali-English-Burmese Dictionary). He, his daughter Dr. Cherry Hlaing and his two grand also children stood first in Burma.
- Saya U Saw Hlaing (RIT Physics, GBNF) did his graduate studies in Japan. He served as Principal of Taunggyi College and as Director at the Ministry of Education. I first met him as an active member of the Kusalakari Association at Shwe Dagon Pagoda.
- U Sein Hlaing matriculated in 1946. He joined the EE (Electrical Engineering) Department as Assistant Lecturer in 1952. He was sent to the USA on a States Scholarship to study at the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and won a Gold Medal. Upon his return to Burma, Saya was promoted to Lecturer. He was one of the three Professors (out of the eight Departments) when we joined 2nd BE RIT in 1964. Saya passed away a couple of years after retirement.
- U Sein Hlaing was the Coach of the Burma Football team.
- U Sein Hlaing (Bago) is one of the organizers for San Francisco Bay Area Entertainment events.
- I met Saya Dr. Maung Shein and several sayas and sayamas (Dr. Ronald Findlay, Saya Jimmy [Dr. Khin Maung Kywe) and Professor Dr. Sundurum) when my uncle Saya U Than Lwin took me Rangoon University to visit the Faculty of Social Science. My uncle taught Economics and also served as the librarian for Social Science Library. Daw Myint Myint Khin (Hazel) was an Assistant Librarian at SS Library. She later joined RIT as Librarian. Saya Dr. Maung Shein became Deputy Minister of Finance and National Planning.
- Maung Shein and Maung Sein are sons of U Kwi Si, a prominent Chinese Ah Yo Ku Saya.
- Kaya Bala U Shein was a Body Builder.
- U Shein worked at SLR (Surveyor Land Records). He attended DAC. He was active in Hiking and Mountaineering.
- U Shein Soe Myint (EC83, UCC) is the son of Saya U Hla Myint (former Head of Mathematics Department at the Institute of Economics. He passed away while doing further studies in Singapore.
- U Soe Aung (M/Auto71) : Secretary of RIT Ah Nu Pyinnya Ah Thinn
- U Soe Aung (M72)
- U Soe Aung (M75)
- Saya U Soe Khaw (GBNF) served as Part-time Lecturer and Head of the Mining Department at BOC College. He worked on several UN assignments before relocating to the USA. He was a supporter for selected monasteries in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- U Soe Khine (M70) is an organizer for the Combined 1st BE Intake of 64 and 65.
- U Soe Lwin (EC66) is one of casualties from Burma Railways for 8-8-88 and related events. His interests include astrology and meditation.
- Saya U Soe Lwin (M) assisted Sayagyi U Ba Than and also taught Strength of Materials. He is the father in law of Dr. Lu Aye.
- U Soe Maung is the proud parent of scholar athletes (U Tin Soe, U Myint Soe, U Nyunt Soe, U Chit Soe, Sally Soe, Mary Soe …) .
- Saya U Soe Min (Mathematics & Astronomy)
- Saya U Soe Min (EE, DCA, GBNF)
- U Soe Myint was manager of the University Printing Press.
- There are four U Soe Myint in the M72 Group. The one with the nicknames “Phone Gyi” and “Sunlun Kappiya” worked at UCC, DCS and ICST. He retired as Pro-Rector of Computer Tekkatho.
- Saya U Soe Myint (Min83) was Joint Secretary for SPZP-2012 and SPZP-2016. He was active in the RIT Buddhist Association — as Secretary and later as Patron. He helped organize the compilation and publication of Ovada (Exhortation) of the sayas and sayamas invited to SPZP-2012 and SPZP-2016.
- Saya Dr. Soe Myint Win (GBNF) has a doctorate in Electronics. He taught in the Physics Department. He was a supporter for selected monasteries in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Dr. Soe Naung is a medical doctor and a host of Sayadaws visiting Jamaica.
- Saya U Soe Paing (SPHS56) is a Paulian. He won a Collegiate Scholarship in the Matriculation examination of 1956. Saya studied BS and MS in EE (Electrical Engineering) at Stanford University in the USA. Upon his return, he joined the EE Department at RIT as Assistant Lecturer. He transferred to UCC as Systems Manager. Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe founded UCC with the help of Saya U Soe Paing, Saya U Myo Min and Saya U Ko Ko Lay (GBNF). Saya received an M.Sc. in Computer Science from the University of Southampton in the UK. Saya worked for UN projects in several countries. He wrote “Computer Ah Sa UCC Ga” and his experiences as a States Scholar and UN Advisor. After retirement, Saya spent time playing golf and practicing vipassana meditation. Saya suffered back pain and had a minor surgery in Singapore. Saya had to stop playing golf. During his UCC days, Saya served as a Golf Correspondent. I helped Saya type about the competition at RGC (Rangoon Golf Club) and BGC (Burma Golf Club) and submit to the English newspapers. Saya was my mentor at RIT and UCC. He has archived his writings in Scrib-D.
- U Soe Paing is a vocalist.
- U Soe Thein was a Student Leader in Ta Ka Tha. He was Registrar when RIT was opened under the New Education System. He was promoted to Director at the Department of Higher Education (DHE). U Hla succeeded him as Registrar.
- U Soe Thein (Peter, EE69) had a medical operation. He asks his daughter to drive him to the Monthly Breakfast Gatherings of the Class of 69.
- Saya Dr. Soe Thein (C75) was an organizer for the SPZPs held in Singapore. He volunteered as a web master for the Singapore Alumni. His son volunteered as a photographer and/or videographer. He invited me as a Guest to the Civil Gathering held before SPZP-2007. He invited me to a C75 gathering held at M3 Food Center in Yangon.
- U Soe Wai (Navy) rowed on the first Defense Service team.
- U Soe Win (EP69, GBNF) was Captain of RIT Basketball team.
- U Soe Win (TTC64, EC70) worked for UCC and PTC. After retirement, he helped run his spouse’s business in Moulmein.
- U Soe Win (M66) was close with Saya U Lin (M66) and U Soe Aung (M66) in their RIT days.
- Soe Pay is a pen name of a movie director.
- Soe San is a recording studio and distributor.
- U Soe Tha (EC67) and U Tun Kyi (M67, GBNF) were RIT Champions for Doubles in Tennis. U Soe Tha is a retired Minister.
- Dr. Soe Than taught at UCC, DCS and ICST.
- Su Phaya Latt was a Queen
Middle or Ending with Soe
- Cartoon Aung Shein is known for Modern Cartoon. The RIT main gate is named after his cartoon character U Lu Paw.
- Saya Dr. Aung Shein (C73) studied at the University of Birmingham.
- U Aung Shein is a dhamma friend.
- Dr. Aung Soe (C61)
- Bagyee Aung Soe (Part-time saya at RIT Architecture Department)
- U Aung Soe (Lu Nge Ye Yar)
- U Ba Soe
- U Chit Soe (Swimmer, Diplomat)
- U Han Shein (Hla Moe) rowed for the Faculty of Engineering. He perished at sea, when the schooner owned by his parents sank.
- U Han Shein’s daughters were belles.
- U Hla Soe
- Kenneth Shein played soccer for RU with Collegian Nay Win, U Tun Kyi and Dr. Tint Lwin, He joined Burma Railways and played for BR and Burma.
- U Kyi Shane (M83), dhamma volunteer
- Mary Soe (SEAP Games Champion in Swimming)
- U Myint Soe (Willie, first batch BDS, GBNF) : Old Croc
- U Nyunt Soe (National Coach in swimming)
- Dr. Oke Soe Kha (MEHS), son of Saya Kha, is an Honorary Paulian.
- Daw Pale Shein (Pearl) is the daughter of Kenneth Shein. She studied and taught at UCC. She co-organized UCC gatherings during my visits to Singapore.
- Sally Soe (SEAP Games Champion in Swimming)
- U Tin Soe (Johnny Soe Maung, Saya turned Diplomat) : Old Croc
- U Than Soe (M63) is RUBC Gold. His younger brother is Dr. Koung Nyunt (A67, GBNF).
- U Tun Shein taught Mathematics at RIT. U Aung Myint (Pet69) is fondly called “Delta Tun Shein”.
- U Tun Shein (Willie Saing) is RUBC Gold.
- Goldflake U Win Shein
- U Win Shein (EC84)
Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint wrote :
Dr. Maung Shein PhD, joined the World Bank after working as Deputy Minister of Finance in Burma. U Maung Maung Hla (younger brother of Dr U Kyaw Maung surgeon) also joined World Bank.
There are several Myint Swe. They include
- a 69er
- an EP74 student (Vice President of NorCal RITAA)
- ex-UCC (spouse of Ma Nge)
- a Bogyoke
- Medical doctor and author (father of Gilbert)
Saya U Tin Swe (EE53) studied at the University of Michigan. He represented Prome Hall and the Faculty of Engineering in football (soccer). He played Tennis. He was an early adopter and power user at UCC.
Kyargyi Ba Swe (also known as Dawei Ba Swe) served as Interim Prime Minister (when U Nu took sabbatical) of the Union of Burma. He led the Swe-Nyein faction of AFPFL with U Kyaw Nyein.
Yangon Ba Swe is credited to take aim at Galon U Saw.
U Kyaw Swe is an Academy award winning actor and director. He was married to a Yale alumni and Khin Yu May (actress & vocalist).
Sayagyi Dr. Chit Swe is my mentor. See Pioneers (009) for more details.
According to Sandaya Sein Thaung, he was Number Four behind the elite composer/pianists : Gita Lu Lin Maung Ko Ko, Sandaya Hla Htut and Saya Chit Swe.
U Chit Swe won the Senior Novices along with U Than Soe, U Yin Maung and U Hla Moe (Cox). They later represented the Faculty of Engineering at the subsequent regattas. The non-engineering crew member is Dr. Byron Law Yone.
U Sway Tin is an early devotee of Mogok Sayadaw U Vimala. He recorded Sayadaw’s dhamma tape and translated some talks e.g. “Die with a smile”. He is the son-in-law of U Than Daing and the father of Min Sway Tin (Physics/Electronics).
U Swe Tin (EE77), son of Academy U Kyauk Lone, is called “Kyauk Pya”.
Swe Swe Than studied at UCC.
Dr. Swe Aye is a medical doctor and poet. He founded the Aye-Thet Scholarship program at TBSA,
Dr. Khin Swe Myint is Professor of Physics at Mandalay University. She is the sister of U Ohn Khine (M70).
There are several Khin Swe Oo. They include
- an author
- EE sayama
- Physics graduate (spouse of Wynn Myint Aung (EC76))
Dr. Kyu Kyu Swe was a Professor at Mandalay Institute of Medicine.
U Khin Maung Zaw (EC76) wrote :
U Myint Swe, husband of late Nge Ma Ma Than, both ex-UCC, is one of the pioneers/leading figures in E-Government projects for States and Divisions of Myanmar.
Singh is used as a Middle name (and often abbreviated as S.) by Sikhs.
Balwant Singh majored in Pali. He served as Commissioner of Pegu Division. He later joined UN. He is an RUBC Gold.
Teja Singh is an entrepreneur. He is the father of D S Saluja.
Dave Singh Saluja (aka D S Saluja) left RIT before graduation to Bangkok. He co-founded Rama Enterprise with his elder brother (an MIT alumni).
Surinder Singh (EE) moved to Australia.
Meenu Singh (ChE) moved to the USA. He has a Ph.D. He became a Professor in CS or IT.
Jagjit Singh (Jack Bopari, EE) moved to the USA. He worked at UIUC.
Uttam Singh (Uttam S. Gill, M71) was a High School Luyechun from Myitkyina. He moved to the USA. He has a Ph.D. He worked for NASA.
A S Soni is SPHS 63.
Bogyoke Aung San was born as Htain Lin. He changed his name to Aung San to rhyme with Aung Than (his elder brother).
U Aung San Oo (SPHS59) studied at Imperial College in the UK and worked in the USA.
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi attended MEHS before going abroad with her mother Daw Khin Kyi (Ambassador). There are many articles about her.
U Aung San is from the RIT Class of 70. He played Goalkeeper on the second RIT Football team. U Kyaw Min Aung was a backup goalie.
There are several people with Ba San in their names. They may not be related. They include Dr. Myo San (Freddie Ba San, 3rd in Burma in the Matriculation of 1963), Dr. Naing Tint San (Peter Ba San), Daw Polly Win (Polly Ba San, Burma Selected in Swimming).
U San Myint was Rector of the Institute of Education.
Dat Pon Sann Aung (M73) is RUBC Gold. He also worked for the Mechanical Co-op. He founded USA (U Sann Aung) Photo Lab. He is the brother of Daw Than Than Yi (T71, GBNF).
U San Aung (Reggie, Sonny, SPHS58, GBNF) was one of the youngest Senior Pilot at UBA/BAC. He was Boxing Champion for Pin Weight. He served as Treasurer of RUBC.
U San Aung (Sydney) played the Bass Guitar and Drums with bands notably TAMPS (named for Tin Aung, Austin Xavier, Mra Tun, Pierpont Morgan and Sydney San Aung).
Dr. San Hla Aung (C58) had to wait one year to enter the University of Rangoon because he was under age. He was top of his class. He studied at MIT and did research at Tulane University in the USA. He was coaxed to retire after 50+ years of teaching in Burma and the USA. Saya served as President of the RIT Rowing Association, and the RIT Swimming & Water Polo Club.