Updated on March 12, 2019
The list is not exhaustive.
Beginning with H
- U Han Sein (M72) finished top in his class and joined the faculty. He later transferred to the Navy. He retired as Deputy Minister.
- U Han Sein (C69) is a Tone Kyaw. He was inadvertently listed in the GBNF list of the Class of 69. Only his closest pals knew that he was taken into custody by the higher authorities for supporting the 8-8-88 movement. He recently celebrated his 75th birthday.
- U Han Tun (SPHS63, DSA) was my classmate at PPBRS along with U Nay Win (M69, GBNF). His spouse is the sister of U Thet Tun (Henry, M75).
- Saya U Han Tun (M65) is GBNF.
- U Han Tun Maung represented SPHS in Track & Field and Football (Soccer). He was active in several organizations as President or Executive Committee Member. They include (a) Old Paulian Association (b) Kokkine Swimming Club (c) Archery Club (d) Equestrian Club. His family owned a racing horse named “Sein Hlyan” and a cafe of the same name.
- U Han Thein (Gallant Leong) and his brother George Leong were my classmates at SPHS.
- U Han Nyunt (SPHS63) was my classmate at SPHS. His spouse Daw Aye Aye Kyi (GBNF) worked at UCC.
- U Han Nyo (Met60) became a monk in the USA and also helped for a period with the monastery in Mexico.
- U Han Zaw is Past President of MES and Minister of Construction. He accompanied his spouse Daw Thwin Thwin Aye Hmi (Olive, A69) to some 69er Gatherings.
- U Han Tha Myint (EC70) worked at PTC. He was an early casualty for 8-8-88. He joined NLD and is a senior member.
- U Han Kyu Pe (SPHS64, A70) is GBNF. He is the younger brother of U Myint Kyu Pe (SPHS58).
- U Han Sein, U Han Shein (Hla Moe, GBNF) and U Han Swan are the sons of U Maung Lwin (Schooner owner from Tavoy (Dawei)). U Hla Moe coxed the Senior Novices crew comprising of U Than Soe (RUBC Gold), U Chit Swe, U Yin Maung and Dr. Bryon Law Yone. He and his three crew members rowed for the Faculty of Engineering.
- U Han Ngwe Tun (Raymond) is a guitarist for bands including Super Star. His brother U Aung Ngwe Tun (Glenn) studied at UCC.
- Saya U Han Tin (MPhil, University of London) was professor of English, University of Education. He migrated to Australia. U Han Tin is Past Captain and Gold of RUBC. He is the younger son of Sithu U Tin, who succeeded Commodore Than Pe as President of RUBC. His elder brother Dr. Nyunt Tin (SPHS52, GBNF) stood First in Burma in the Matriculation of 1952.
- Hanthawaddy may stand for “Hanthawaddy Pegu“, an ancient kingdom that ruled Lower Burma.
- Hanthawaddy Ah Waing was one of the four roundabouts in Rangoon.
- Hanthawaddy Exchange was an early telephone exchange in Rangoon.
- Hanthawaddy Press was located in Sparks (Bo Aung Gyaw) street.
- Hanthawaddy U Ba Yin was an author. He provided commentary for selected Burmese texts.
- Hanthawaddy Thadin Sar was a Burmese newspaper.
- Hanthawaddy U Win Tin was a journalist, activist and a prisoner of conscience.
- Hein Latt is an author.
- There are some military officers named Maung Hla.
- U Hla succeeded U Soe Thein as Registrar of RIT.
- Ludu U Hla is a prolific writer, journalist and publisher. He and Ludu Daw Ah Mar nurtured journalists, cartoonists and writers. At one time, Ludu U Hla was forbidden to write about politics. He started compiling folk tales of the Burmese and the indigenous people of Burma.
- U Hla Khin (Navy) represented Burma in Rowing with U Sein Kyaing. He won a Silver Medal at the SEAP Games in Yachting with U Tin Htoon (A60).
- U Hla Maung was a Burma Selection for Football.
- U Hla Maung taught Burmese at the University of Rangoon. He also taught Abhidhamma. He was a member of the Myanmar Sar Ah Phwe (Burmese Language Commission). He was a Naing Gan Daw Kaung Si Win.
- U Hla Maung was a Thamadi Myo Wun, and father of Ronnie Hla Maung (my classmate at SPHS).
- There were Ministers (for Education and Defense) named Hla Min.
- There were Generals named Hla Min (including one who was blacklisted for international travel at one time).
- Bohmu Dr. Hla Min (Eddie) was an Orthopedic Surgeon and a Golden Cox for RUBC and Defense Services Rowing Club.
- M. Hla Min (Moosaji, SPHS54) is RUBC Gold. He also taught at SPHS.
- U Hla Min (SPHS63, EC69) is a Jack of all trades and Master of some. He has volunteered as a messenger of the RIT Community for two decades. He is currently writing posts to be compiled into a book (softcopy and hardcopy). He became a Tone Kyaw when his namesake (an alumni of SPHS, RIT and UCC) passed away prematurely at the tender age of 35 (or so).
- U Hla Min (L T Gwan, SPHS64, EP70, GBNF) was fondly known at UCC as CO (Chief Operator) and Pauk Si.
- Dr. Hla Min (Tommy, IM2) was OG. He attended DAC at UCC along with Dr. Kyaw Min.
- U Hla Min (Ko Pauk, PWD, EC7x) was a member of the team led by U Win Htein (SPHS56, GBNF) to maintain the electrical systems at UCC.
- Dr. Hla Myint is an outstanding Economist and Educator.
- Dr. Hla Myint (“Ah Ba”) is a revered saya in the Medical Community.
- Dr. Hla Myint (Mack, ChE57) taught at RIT. He worked in Thailand and Australia.
- U Hla Nyunt was a Saya at Rangoon University.
- U Hla Nyunt (father of Mary Nicely) taught Burmese at the US Naval School and/or Defense Language Institute.
- Dr. Hla Oo is a medical doctor.
- U Hla Oo was a member of the RIT Automobile Club. He relocated to Australia.
- Colonel Hla Oung was a Minister in the Government of the Revolutionary Council. He was President of the Burma Hiking and Mountaineering Association. He is the brother of Colonel Smythe and the uncle of William, Phillip and Elizabeth who represented Burma in swimming and/or diving at the 2nd SEAP Games held in Rangoon.
- U Hla Soe, U Ba Soe, U Wan Maung and a Catholic Priest were tried and convicted of helping Kyaw Swar Myint (PSO). Per Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint, “Father defended U Ba Soe, U Hla Soe and their brother in law U Wan Maung on this case. They were sentenced for seven years but released after five years. The Catholic priest was deported. When the priest was on the stand, he talked about being tortured and interrogated by military intelligence with electrode wires on his private parts. He appeared only for one day only and was hastily deported without any more court appearance.”
- Aung San Thuriya Hla Thaung Kyaung is a High School for military families.
- U Hla Thaung (Minn Aung, EP69) is a Khamee Khamet of U Aung Khin (EP68).
- U Hla Thin, father of U Htin Aung (Richard), was a Government Advocate and Judge.
- Dr. Hla Thwin was Professor of Psychology at the University. He is the father of Dr. Aye Aye Thwin and U Mya Thwin (Phillip, EP75, USA).
- Prof. U Hla Thein was Professor of Pathology at the Institute of Medicine 1 Rangoon.
- U Hla Thein (Robert, M72, USA) donated cash and kind to the Mechanical Engineering Department at YTU. He is a nephew of Saya U Htin Paw (EE58, GBNF) and U Tun Thein (A67, USA).
- U Hla Win (M73) is a member of the RIT Hovercraft Project.
- U Hla Win (M73-75) is an organizer for SPZP and SDYF. He is a member of the Myanmar Pyeikkadein Ah Kyan Pay Ah Phwe. He teaches at MARB.
- U Hlaing Myint, nephew of Saya Dr. San Tint, is an alumni of UCC. He worked in Australia and Myanmar.
Middle or Ending with H
- U Aung Hlaing (UCC) moved to Australia.
- Dr. Aye Hlaing served as Professor of Economics, Rector of IE and Chairman of the Union Bank.
- U Aye Win Hlaing (EE72) is known as “La La” and Abel.
- Bogyi Ba Hein became Principal of No. (6) Botathaung State High School (after the Nationalization of SPHS).
- U Chit Hlaing is an author of the Burmese Way to Socialism.
- Bohmu Chit Hlaing was a Commodore in the Burma Navy.
- Dr. Daisy Ba Hein and Dr. Edwin Ba Hein (Yi Thway) are medical doctors.
- Kyant Ba Hone is a fictional character.
- U Kyaw Hein had an illustrious character : youth gang leader, early graduate of the “Yoke Shin Thindan”, Academy award winning actor, director, and monk.
- U Kyaw Hlaing taught Burmese at RIT and some Universities in the USA. He attended SPZP-2000 held in the USA. His spouse is a cousin of Saya U Tin Htut.
- U Kyaw Hlaing (M86) is a Treasurer of SDYF and RITAA. He provides Real Coffee for selected events (e.g. meetings and SPZP).
- U Kyaw Kyaw Hlaing is a Science Scholar. He worked for MOC/MOGE and Schlumberger before moving to the private industry.
- U Mya Hlaing (Publisher)
- U Mya Hlaing (boatman of RUBC with U Par Oo)
- U Mya Hlaing (PBRS alumni)
- U Myo Hein is called by some 69ers as “Moke Seik”.
- Dr. Nyunt Hlaing (EENT) is the brother of U Tun Hlaing, Dr. Tha Hlaing and U Aung Hlaing (UCC).
- U Saw Ba Hein was a member of the 1936 Student Srike.
- U Saw Hlaing belongs to a family of “First in Burma” starting with his father U Hoke Sein (compiler of the Pali-English-Burmese Dictionary). He, his daughter Dr. Cherry Hlaing and his two grand also children stood first in Burma.
- U Saw Hlaing (RIT Physics, GBNF) did his graduate studies in Japan. He served as Principal of Taunggyi College and as Director at the Ministry of Education. I first met him as an active member of the Kusalakari Association at Shwe Dagon Pagoda.
- U Sein Hlaing (Professor and Head of EE Department at RIT)
- U Sein Hlaing (Burma Football Coach)
- U Sein Hlaing (Bago, SF Bay Area Entertainment Organizer)
- U Shwe Hlaing studied Chemical Engineering and Mathematics in the USA. He taught “Engineering Mechanics” in our 2nd BE Class. He taught Algol and “Algol Report” at Mandalay Hall (before UCC was established at Thamaing Campus). He taught programming to students at RIT (e.g. Class of 76)
- Dr. Tha Hlaing (EENT) is the brother of U Tun Hlaing, Dr. Nyunt Hlaing (EENT) and U Aung Hlaing (UCC, Japan Sayagyi).
- U Tha Hlaing (EC83) stood joint first in the final year with U Thaung Tin (EC83, KMD).
- U Tha Hlaing was Head of RIT Physics Department. His predecessors include Sayamagyi Daw Nyein and Saya U Hlwan Moe.
- Saya U Tin Hlaing (M59, GBNF) studied at Purdue University. He headed the Agri Sub-department of Mechanical Engineering department at RIT. He played Tennis. He passed away because of the scarcity of dialysis machines in Burma and the delay in getting a passport to get medical treatment overseas.
- Saya Dr. Tin Hlaing (M63) is a classmate of my elder brother. Saya is also known as “R” and “Byte” to distinguish from the senior U Tin Hlaing. He played soccer. He co-chaired SPZP 2002 held in Singapore. He became a “Tone Kyaw” when his namesake passed away.
- Dr. Tin Hlaing taught Maritime Studies. When he passed away in Singapore, some RIT alumni thought that it was their Saya and notified their friends (wrongly).
- Ko Tin Hlaing (Le Dwin Tha Saw Chit) was a University Luyechun for the Inlay Khaung Daing Camp in 1965. He received National Literary Awards.
- U Tun Hlaing (brother of Dr. Tha Hlaing, Dr. Nyunt Hlaing and U Aung Hlaing (UCC).
U Myat Htoo (C68) taught at RIT. He is a founding member of RIT Alumni International, and NorCal RITAA. He is a Past President of TBSA and BADA.
U Myint Htoo was a Justice.
Daw Htoo is the owner of Htoo Motor & Supplies.
Tat Kyat Maung Htoo is a writer.
Maung Htoo attended RIT and UCC. He is the son-in-law of Saya U Tin Nyunt.
Khin Maung Htoo is a vocalist.
Myat Htoo Razak is RUBC Gold. He is son of U Tin Myint and grandson of Arzani U Razk.
Ba Htoo started the Resistance ahead of March 27. Ba Htoo Myo, named after him, had training centers for the army.
Yahandar Hnit Pokko Htoo Myar is a book by Dhammacariya U Htay Hlaing.
Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint wrote :
Col. Hla Htoo, FRCR, senior radiologist Burma Army Medical Corp (BAMC), one of the first radiologists to pass the Fellowship of the Royal College of Radiology exam.