For archive (Updated on February 12, 2019)
Note : The post has merged four earlier posts and also added new entries.
- Dr. U Thein was Professor of Geology. He invited his former student Ko Soe Myint (UCC) and me to be guest speakers in MASU and in RASU.
- U Thein (Zawana) is a journalist and author.
Thane is a variant spelling of Thein.
Names starting with Thein
- Saya U Thein Aung taught at IE (Institute of Economics). He and Saya U Tin Nyunt taught IM (Industrial Management) at RIT.
- Saya U Thein Aung (Micky, SPHS59) is RUBC Gold. He taught Physics at RASU before moving to private industry.
- Saya Lay U Thein Aung (James, Met 72), a.k.a. Myo Daw, was a Mr RIT, and was a key member of the very first SPZP in 2000.
- U Thein Aung (M72) is known for differentiating the two Thein Aung from the Class of 72. He said, “I am Set Hmu — Maung Thein Aung. He is Set Hmu Maung — Thein Aung.”
- Saya U Thein Lwin (EE) studied for his MS at Lehigh University in the USA. He taught at RIT and Singapore Polytechnic. He was President of the RIT Badminton Association. The RIT team led by Sai Kham Pan (EP69, Burma Selected) won the Inter-Institute Trophy.
- U Thein Lwin (Stanley, SPHS63) was a member of our group at SPHS.
- Dr. Thein Lwin is a High School Luyechun at the Inlay Khaungdaing Camp
- U Thein Lwin (M70) is a Member of Parlaiment
- Saya U Thein Han (Zawgyi) co-founded Khit San Sar Pay. He was a student of Sayagyi U Pe Maung Tin. He was approached by the Burmese and English Departments to do Masters. He chose to study Library Science in the UK. He served as Chief Librarian of the Universities’ Central Library (UCL).
- U Thein Han, my lone remaining uncle, worked as Systems Engineer at IBM in Rangoon before moving to the USA. He has shared some of his real-life stories.
- Dr. Thein Han (IM 79er) owned a “Subway” Franchise.
- U Thein Han (EP70)
Dr. Thein Htut is RUBC Gold. He lives is Sydney, Australia.
- Dr. Thein Htut (Clement) was a saya at Dental College (later Dental University).
- U Thein Htut worked for UCC before moving to private industry.
- U Thein Htut taught Physics at RASU.
- A1 Thein Htut (Freddie, Sat Su, PBRS) is a movie actor and director. His older twin A1 Than Htut (Stanley, PBRS) is a movie director. They won several photo contests hosted by Myawaddy Magazine. Their younger brothers U Aung Myint (Bobby, Min70) and Sai Wunna acted in the “Thaman Kyar” movie directed by the twin brothers.
- Dr. Thein Maung (EENT) is the son of Saya U Kar and the brother of Saya Dr. Tin Maung (UCC, DCS, ICST).
- Thein Maung (M69)
- U Thein Maung (academy award winning actor)
- U Thein Maung (Htin Lin, National Literary Award winner), father of U Soe Myint (Chief Editor of several publications), U Soe Win (EC70, UCC and PTC), U Kyaw Zaw (EC72, DAC, GBNF) and U Khin Zaw (UCC)
- Yachting champions : Victor Thein Maung (Dr. Khin Thein), George Thein Maung (Dr. Tun Thein), Shirley Thein Maung, Rosie Thein Maung
- Twins : Bohmu Win Thein Maung and Bohmu Lin Thein Maung (Commanders in the Burma Navy)
- Siblings : Dr. Maisie Thein Maung, Helen Thein Maung, Peter Thein Maung, Stella Thein Maung
Bohmu Thane Myint (BRS, DSA) is the elder son of U Kyaw Zaw and Sayama Daw Khin Khin Aye. He served in the Air Force, and in the Myanmar Delegation to the UN. He managed the Myanmar Olympic Team for Seoul Olympics in 1988.
Thane Myint wrote :
I am THANE MYINT. Originally the Myanmar voice of THEIN was spelled like shown in capitals. When a foreigner tried to say out my name spelled as THEIN, they almost always say out as “Thee” “Inn” not THEIN as a single word. So, in order to have my name to be said vocally as near as possible as it was intended to be, I took a piece from Shakespeare’s “Macbeth”. The “THANE” of “Glamis” and “Cawdor” as spelled there. Even then some people say it out as “THAN”. Anyway it is much nearer to what it ought to be uttered correctly. You can’t have it all.
- Bohmu Daw Thein Myint is the spouse of Saya Dr. Maung Maung Sein
- U Thein Myint is a saya at MARB
- U Thein Myint is a boxing champion, who competed in SEAP, Asian Games and Olympics
- U Thein Myint (Geologist) is the brother of L. Than Myint (M63) and Dr. L Sein Myint (M73)
- U Thein Nyunt served as Secretary of Religious Affairs. He is the father of U Soe Myint (Pro-rector, ICST) and grand father of Maung Maung Win (Maung Yit, EC93) and Mi Mi Win (Junior Win).
- Sayama Daw Thein Nyunt taught English.
- Dr. Thein Nyunt is a professor and author (Parmaukkha Thein).
Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint taught Pediatrics. He processed “Perinatal Survey” and other projects at UCC. He worked for UN in Bangladesh and Fiji before migrating to Australia. He was founder and moderator of AMIM (Alumni of Medical Institutes from Myanmar) Yahoo Group. His former colleagues and students published a book as a present for his 70th birthday.
- U Thein Oo (Ah Thay Lay) is an example of “Great men are short”. He taught at IE, UCC, DCS and ICST. He co-founded MCI and founded Ace. He plays table tennis, volleyball, and cards.
- U Thein Oo Po Saw (Ernest) studied Nuclear Physics in the US. He headed the Physics Department at DSA. His younger brother U Nyi Khine Po Saw (Kenneth) was a saya at the RIT English department.
- U Thein Pe is better known as Thein Pe Myint (author and politician). He is the father of U Hantha Myint (EC70, NLD).
- Thein Pe is the main fictional character in Collegian (College Ja Po) by Zawana U Thein.
- U Thein Swe (Daniel Bomya) is President of Theravada Buddhist Society of America. He is a core organizer for the Summa Dhamma Camp.
- U Thein Swe (EP68) was 3rd Year Luyechun.
- Bohmu Thein Swe (Air Force)
- Saya U Thein Tan (C64) retired as Rector of Mandalay Institute of Technology
- U Thein Tan is an EE saya
- Twante Thein Tan (vocalist)
- Myanma Pyi Thein Tan (guitarist and vocalist)
- U Thein Win was a Karate Instructor and Promoter of Martial Arts in Burma.
- Dr. Thein Win was goalkeeper for IM(2) and a Luyechun.
- Dr. Thein Wai (SPHS63, IM2) stood fifth in Matriculation in 1963. He moved to the USA. His brother U Aung Khin (SPHS63, DSA) is GBNF.
- Dr. Min Thein Thoung (Freddie, St. Albert’s) represented IM(1) in Track & Field, Rowing, Basketball, Swimming.
- Dr. Thein Tun (SPHS61, EP67) received his doctorate from Australia.
- Daw Thein Wa was an early bookstore owner. Her son U G Ko Lay is RUBC Gold and Chief Editor of Working People’s Daily.
- U Thein Sein is a former President of Myanmar.
- U Thein Hla Maung was a news anchor at Myanmar Ah Than. He also acted as Beik Thate Saya.
- Dr. Thein Hlyne is Patron is RIT Buddhist Association
- U Thein Naing (Patrick) is a member of the La Phet Yay Waing Group with Saya Allen Htay (C58, GBNF), Saya U Tin Maung Nyunt (M60), U Ko Ko Aye and U Hla Min. He wants to share his collection of books and CDs with dhamma friends.
Names ending with Thein
- U Aye Thein (EP69) played Volley for EE.
- U Aye Thein was my primary school classmate at PPBRS.
- Dr. Aye Thein Kyaw is a Physics Saya.
- Dr. Aung Thein was MS (Medical Superintendent) of RGH (Rangoon General Hospital) is a Maw Gun Win.
- U Aung Thein (T69) is in the USA.
- U Aung Thein (John, M71) is in the USA.
- Bohmu Aung Thane retired from Burma Navy. He served as Gawpaka of Shwe Dagon Pagoda and Patron of Mingalar Byu Har. He is the father of Dr. Thane Toe Thane, Dr. Hmi Hmi Thane and U San Myint Thane (Sammy, EC79).
- U Ba Thein is an entrepreneur and musician. He is the father of Peter Ba Thein (Superstar) and Than Than Nwe.
- Ba Thein (Atlanta) is the pen name of Dr. Myint Thein (M73).
Hla Myint Thein
- U Hla Myint Thein (Maurice Chee, M75) is a founding member of RIT Alumni International and NorCal RITAA. He co-chaired SPZP-2000 and also won multiple hats (Financial Controller, Publisher of the commemorative issue of RIT Alumni International Newsletter). He donated books by him, Saya Allen Htay and Victor Wong (C66) to YTU Library. He gave a seminar at the Mechanical Engineering Department at YTU.
- U Hla Myint Thein (Patrick, C69) taught at RIT. His parents encouraged him and his family members to run business. He donated to selected monasteries in Myanmar.
- U Kyaw Thein (C) was a saya at Civil Engineering Department
- U Kyaw Thein (DCA) is a Past Captain of RUBC
- Dr. Kyaw Thein (Maths) retired as Rector of ICST
- U Kyaw Thein (C69)
- Bohmu Kyaw Thein (PBRS) is the younger brother of Bohmu Thein Myint
- Bohmu Kyaw Thein Lwin is the son of Myoma Sayagyi U Ba Lwin. He served in the Navy and Five Star Lines before forming his own company.
- Saya U Mya Thein (GBNF) taught at the Institute of Economics, UCC, DCS, ICST and IMBTU. He is known as “Bo Shoke”.
- U Mya Thein taught Bando, acted in a movie and practiced law.
- U Sobhana (Mya Thein Tan Sayadaw)
- U Myint Thein (“MMT”) served as Chief Justice of the Union of Burma and was detained in the Coup d’etat in 1962. He also served as Ambassador to China. He is an author and translator.
- U Myint Thein (Kabar, M69) is GBNF.
- U Myint Thein (David, M689) attended St. Columban’s High School in Bhamo.
- Dr. Myint Thein (M73) wrote articles for RIT Alumni International Newsletter and for Swel Daw Yeik Sar Saung.
- Dr. Myint Thein (M86) is Rector of YTU.
- U Myint Thein (SPHS62, B. Com) was our cox for the St. Paul’s Novice crew at RUBC. The crew comprised of Willie Soe Maung (Myint Soe), Kyaw Wynn, Maung Maung Kyi and Hla Min.
- U Myint Thein (Soon Hoe, C74) ran a recording studio back in Burma. He is a volunteer audio and video recorder for selected monasteries and associations in the San Francisco Bay Area. He and his spouse Dr. Cynthia offered books and CDs as dhamma dhana.
- U Myint Thein (Michael, SPHS68, M74) works in Singapore.
- U Win Thein (M67, GBNF) co-founded Set Hmu Thadin Zin and Set Hmu (Mechanical) Magazine.
- U Win Thein (EP70) was a High School Luyechun and a top student in EP.
- Bogyi Win Thein was a government witness for the Ohn Kyaw Myint case.
- U Myat Thein (Adam Khan, EP76) is a blogger. He represented RIT in Hockey. He also rowed at RUBC.
- U Myo Thein (Paung Moke, PBRS) is a Master Mariner.
- Dhammakahtika U Hla Thein was a Dhamma Lecturer.
- U Kyaw Min Thein (Kenneth, C69, MEHS)
- U San Myint Thane (Sammy, EC79) was the first student at RIT to do a Final Year EE project using a Microprocessor Kit.
- Daw Myint Myint Thein (Ma Tu, C77) is a dhamma friend.
- Daw Myint Myint Thein (Susan) studied at UCC. She worked in Singapore before moving back to Myanmar.