For archives (Updated on January 24, 2019)
In January 2012, Saya U Soe Paing (EE) wrote :
I think we need more photos of the second period i.e. after the war Faculty of Engineering.
I have the photos from MES/U Ba Than and from the Rangoon University Engineering Students Union Magazines that I scanned.
I have attached a list. Most of them have names.
However there are some missing photos like
- 1953-54 Electrical
- 1954-55 Civil and Mechanical
- 1955-56 all classes
- 1959-60 all classes.
Can you please announce in the updates if any alum or children of alum can get scanned copies of the missing photos?
As I understand there were no Engineering Student’s Magazines in
Editor’s Notes :
- Saya U Soe Paing and Sayagyi U Ba Than were the early supporters of the “History of University Engineering Education in Burma/Myanmar” project. It is also known as HMEE-2012 Project. A book was published in time for SPZP-2012 in December, 2012. The sayas and sayamas who attended SPZP-2012 were given the book.
- Sayagyi U Ba Than gave a set of class photos to be displayed at MES and to be used in the History book.
- Sayagyi requested Saya U Thaw Kaung (former Chief Librarian of the Rangoon University Central Library) to allow the team led by Saya U Soe Paing to access and copy documents that would be needed for the History project.
- In our younger days, the photo studios took Class photos. They charge one kyat for a photo without captions. They charge K1.50 (or so) for a mounted photo with captions. Many students opted for unmounted photos which were cheaper, but they found out decades later that they could not identify/name their classmates.
- U Ohn Khine (M70) and I compiled a supplement CD for the HMEE-2012 Book.
- Saya U Aung Hla Tun and team meet monthly for the HMEE-2018 project.
- We need captions for the Class photos and selected Group photos.
- Please provide feedback on my FB pages and on my web site hlamin.com