My uncle and my cousin brother would have a friendly competition to complete “Cross word puzzle” which was featured daily in an English newspaper.
Several magazines and journals also publish “Cross word puzzle”.
There may be
- Simple Cross Word Puzzle which can be completed in about 10 minutes
- Hard Cross Word Puzzle which requires 30+ minutes
- Challenging Cross Word Puzzle which may take a long time
- Subject-specific Cross Word Puzzle
- Book of Cross Word Puzzles
Some entries are easy to fill.
For example, a two-letter word for printer’s measure will usually be “en” or “em”. In printing, the width of the letter M is known as an “em”. The width of the letter N is an “en”.
A three-letter word for referee’s cousin will probably be “ump” (for umpire).
Some entries may be anagrams. Examples of anagrams for the four directions are
- Seat (for East)
- Stew (for West)
- Thorn (for North)
- Shout (for South)
Some entries might refer to