For archive (Updated on February 21, 2019)
Teaching and Research
- Teaching is only one aspect.
- A teacher learns by teaching and receiving feedback from the students.
- A teacher should be a life long learner.
- We should not encourage Rote Learning & mindless repetition.
- “Learning how to learn” and similar courses propose efficient and effective techniques.
- Bachelor’s level usually provides Liberal education and some basic research.
- Research and Development (R&D) transcends multiple disciplines and requires collaboration.
- A university degree was necessary for getting decent jobs.
- Now, there are some companies that do not mandate a university degree for selected jobs.
- In the beginning, there were no computers and no Computer Science.
- Among the computer pioneers were engineers (Electrical, Chemical, …), mathematicians (Pure, Applied,…), physicists (Theoretical, …), psychologists, and linguists.
- Edgser W. Dijkstra, who won the ACM Turing Award (equivalent of Nobel Prize in Computer Science) had to put “Theoretical Physicist” in his marriage license instead of “Programmer” or “Computer Scientist”.
- The same is true for pioneers of other emerging disciplines.