For archive (Updated on February 20, 2019)
- The Brothers at SPHS (St. Paul’s High School) were disappointed when the Paulians could not take the top positions in the Matriculation examination in 1960.
- Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint lost by a mark each to Austin Kyan (Myint Htoo), “Sanjay” Nyan Win, Arthur Hla Maung, a Chinese girl and Marie Nyunt.
- He only claimed the sixth spot.
- Many Paulians won the Collegiate Scholarship award.
- Abibi Bikili (Ethopia) won the Marathon (26-mile 2-furlong race) by running barefoot at the Rome Olympics in 1960.
- Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr. won the Light Heavyweight Boxing title at Rome Olympics. He turned professional and became World Heavyweight Champion for three times. He changed his name to “Mohammad Ali”. He is associated with the phrases : “I am the Greatest”, “Float like a butterfly, Sting like a bee”.
- There was no TV in Burma at the time. We had to wait for a year or two for the Documentary to be shown in Burma. Fortunately, I won a ticket to see “Rome Olympics” documentary at the President (Thamada) Cinema.
RUBC team won the Willingdon Trophy for Coxed Fours at the ARAE (Amateur Rowing Association of the East) Regatta held in Colombo in 1960.
- Harry Saing (Bow, GBNF)
- Victor Htun Shein (2, GBNF)
- Sunny Teng (3)
- Tin Htoon (A60, Stroke)
- Sein Htoon (M63, Cox)
It was the second ARAE championship for U Tin Htoon and Dr. Harry Saing.
They were selected by the Burma Olympic Committee to be members of the Relay team to carry the Olympic Torch when it passed through Rangoon.
Senior Novice Winners
- Kyin Tun (Bow)
- Nyan Win (2)
- Micky Tan (3, GBNF)
- Chabbra (Stroke)
- Frankie Ohn (Cox)
U Thein Aung (Micky, SPHS59) became RUBC Gold in 1962. He later served as a Saya Administrator.
Faculty of Engineering
The newly minted Sayas include
- U Tin Htut (M60)
- U Tun Shwe (M60)
Dr. Thane Oke Kyaw Myint wrote :
Austin Kyan (Myint Htoo) stood first in Burma. There was a Chinese girl I the 4th position. Could not recall her name. Unfortunately she could not attend university due to the citizen status of her parents and she left Burma.