Update : February 18, 2019
Sayadaw U Silananda was a Trail Blazer for the Burmese monks doing Dhamma Duta missions in the USA and beyond.
- Sayadaw (Rector, IMBTU and Chief Resident Monk, Dhammananda Vihara, Half Moon Bay, California) passed away on August 13, 2005.
- I had the honor to serve as Master of Ceremonies at the Services.
- 50+ Theravada monks from Burma, USA, and UK paid respect to Sayadaw.
- Sayadaw U Nandamalabhivamsa (then Pro-Rector, Academic, IMBTU) and Dr. Myint Kyi (then Pro-Rector, Admin, IMBTU) attended the ceremonies as Representatives of IMBTU.
- “The sun that rose in the East has set in the West” proclaimed Sitagu Sayadaw.
- Sayadaw was cremated.
- I had the honor to carry the box containing Sayadaw’s ashes to be scattered from a yacht into the waters near Golden Gate Bridge.
- Saya U Myat Htoo (C68, President of TBSA) led the procession.
- Sayadaw’s last journey is recorded as a 2-set DVD.
I served as a Contributing Editor and the Committee member for compiling and publishing the book “Paying Homage to Sayadaw U Silananda”.
In August, 2015, the saydaws and devotees of Dhammananda Vihara to celebrated the 10th Anniversary of Sayadaw’s demise. Photos taken at the event are posted here.