Posted in late 2009
For archive (Updated on February 25, 2019)
- I received the official DVD of the 40th Anniversary gathering and mini-SPZP of the class of ’69.
- It took about two hours to view the DVD.
- Maung Kabar Myint Thein — a core organizer who offered the use of his office for the preparation meetings — looked as young as ever.
- After four decades, it is difficult if not impossible to recognize some faces and remember their real and nick names.
- Except for thin, grey or dyed hair, some did not seem to have changed much over the years.
- Ko Aung Min, Master of Ceremonies, appeared to have gained some weight.
Ko Thein Swe has described the event in one his e-mails.
Sayas who attended the event
- U Ba Than (M)
- U Khin Aung Kyi (ChE, former Rector)
- U Thit (Met, Melbourne, Australia)
- U Myo Myint Sein (Arch, California, US),
- U Thein Lwin (EE, Singapore, elder brother of Daniel Tint Lwin)
- U Soe Paing (my mentor at RIT and UCC)
- U Moe Aung (EE, Tekkatho Moe War, Chief Editor of “Swe Daw Yeik Sar Saung”, “Hylat Sit Sar Saung)
- U Ba Myint (EE, former Pro-Rector)
- U Khine Oo (EE)
- U S. Kyaw Aye (M, elder brother of Abdul Raof)
- U Han Tun (M)
- Dr. Thaung Myint (Maths)
- Dr. Kyaw Win (Pet)
- Daw Tin Myint (ChE)
Some sayas (e.g. Saya U Shwe Hlaing) could not make it to the event.
Saya U Khin Aung Kyi, Saya U Thein Lwin and Saya U Moe Aung gave short speeches on behalf of the sayas and sayamas.
In the DVD, the commentator mentioned the name and department of the saya/sayama.
We wish he had thrown in more names of the attendees [not just the presenters and the performers] so that we can match the names and faces of our long lost classmates.
Few words by the 69ers
- Ko Khin Maung Tin (M69)
- Ko Nyi Hla Nge (C69)
- Maung Kabar Ko Myint Thein (M69)
- Ko Daniel Tint Lwin (M69)
- Ko Robert Win Boh (EC69)
- Ko Aung Kyaw Pe (EP69)
- Pathein Ko Aung Myint (M69)
- Ma Khin Than Myint Tin (Magaret Aung Tin, M 69)
- Saya U Khin Aung Kyi
- Saya U Moe Aung
- Albert Kyaw Min (several Burmese and English songs)
- Ko Khin Maung Nyunt
- Ko Hla Shwe
- Maung Kabar Myint Thein
- Daniel Tint Lwin
- Robert Win Boh
- Naw Mu Mu Aye and company
- Myo Nyunt
- David Myint Thein
- Aung Min
- Sargalay Khin Maung Win
- Aye Lwin
- and several organizers took part in the musical/dance entertainment.
- The commentator noted that unlike other batches who studied 4 years or 6 years, most intake of 2nd BE in ’64 spent 5 wonderful years at RIT.
- Uzin Myo Tun (Bobby) was in good company with Saw Tobius Kittum Ku (Toby) and Ko Khin Maung Hla.
- Optimists say they will take part in the Golden Jubilee in 2019.
- Conservatives suggest meeting several times before then.
- Realists note that the GBNF list has 39 [at that time constituting 11% of the class.]
- Kudos to the organizers, sponsors, and well-wishers for keeping the RIT spirit alive and well.
Editor’s Note in 2019 :
- I have posted Group photos (with captions) taken in 2009. Thanks to the organizers who provided the photos.
- Several sayas (e.g. U Thit, U Thein Lwin and U Han Tun) are now GBNF.
- Several 69ers (e.g. Kabar Myint Thein, Hla Shwe, Chit Tin, Aung Thu Yein) are now GBNF.
- The GBNF list has more than doubled. It is close to 90.
- There was a pseudo Golden Jubilee in 2014 to celebrate the Golden Anniversary of the Admission to RIT in November 1964.
- The true Golden Jubilee for Graduation is scheduled for 2019.